twenty-nine

• N a y a •

All I could think about was keeping the ball between my feet as I ran down the field, sidestepping the defence as I kicked the ball to Jordan before they barrelled towards the goals. Sweat dripped down my forehead as I pushed my legs to keep up, Jordan grunted as they waited for the last second before they kicked the ball to me.

As soon as I had the ball lined up I kicked it, holding my breath as I watched soar in the air before it hit the net. Relief flooded me as coach Kim blew her whistle, my team cheering for the 1-0 win over the defence team- signalling the end of practice.

"Well done team!" Coach cheered as we walked to our water bottles. "That was a good game!" She commented as I collapsed on the grass with my teammates, breathing heavily as I tried to catch my breath. "But I think there are a few things we need to address before our match this Friday."

Coach spent the next 5 minutes giving us the debrief, highlighting where we needed to strengthen our defence and tighten our attack. After that it was my turn to talk, congratulating my team and trying to heighten our spirits before our match. However, as much as I loved soccer and my team I was relieved when we were finally dismissed, I would've done anything to get out of my sweaty practice kit.

"So are you joining us tonight?" Jordan asked as we walked, heading back to the changing rooms together as others ran ahead.

"Of course I am." I frowned. "It was literally my idea to go out as a team."

"Sorry, I just had to ask." Jordan shrugged with a laugh, their hair still stuck to their forehead. "Considering how busy you've been during breaks lately I was doubtful you'd even make it."

"I've been busy." I shrugged, my mind wandering against my will as I tried to suppress memories of Ember sitting in the room, violin tucked under her chin as she played the most beautiful melody. My eyes never left Ember whenever she played, I was always just so mesmerised by her and the way she could embody a song. I was always reluctant to leave her, but that could've been because I was worried something would happen to her. Bill already got too close to her and since it's been clear he's been looking for her I've been terrified- not that Jordan can know that.

No one could know anything without me betraying Ember, and I would never do that to her. I never wanted to disappoint her, I never wanted to be like everyone else in her life.

"Yeah I know," they smirked. "You've been in the music room every day this week." They pointed out, their tone of voice hinting at something as I tried to play it off as casually as I could- even if my heart was beating faster.

"What can I say? I enjoy the company." I shrugged, trying not to think of exactly how much I enjoyed it.

"I'm sure that's not all you enjoy!" Jordan winked suggestively as I frowned, their words not sitting well with me.

"Hey, don't talk about Ember like that!" I snapped angrily as I forced myself to calm down before I exploded.

Ember had become a soft spot for me and I couldn't even tell anyone why. So I had to deal with it alone, the stress and anxiety whenever I couldn't find Ember, the guilt that consumed me whenever I would see her jump or flinch at a loud sound. I just felt so helpless, especially when I would see Ember, constantly looking around on edge the minute she stepped foot outside.

"Woah, sorry Naya, I didn't mean it like that." Jordan apologised as I took a deep breath, shaking it off.

"It's fine, just don't do it again," I muttered as we walked into the changing rooms.

"I'm so glad practice is over, I'm starving!" Mia, a midfielder, exclaimed as she popped out of nowhere with a pat on my back and I jumped in fright.

"Woah Naya, why are you so jumpy today? What's going on with you?" Carla, another teammate, quipped up as I took a seat on the wooden bench.