Chapter 1

Gretchen Pov

The taxi took Daniel and I to Oxford; we got to Whitestones. Alfred had let Daniel stay the night, but in the guest room. I went into my room and slipped on my nightdress and went into my bed before drifting off to sleep.

I heard my door open; I was about to open my eyes and I felt Daniels lips on my forehead. I opened my eyes and let out a light chuckle as I sat up "And good morning to you too" I said lightly kissing him. "I'll get ready soon, I'll meet you downstairs soon" I sighed, Daniel nodded and went downstairs.

I got a dark faded buttoned up blue dress and slipped on some black heals, trying to fit in with other people in England. I walked down stairs and Daniels eyes widened slightly. I hadn't really worn a dress in front of Daniel before, only once about 3 months ago when we were in Germany and had to stay hidden and work for a criminal ring called the Ringverein.

I went into the kitchen where the cook and Julia were making breakfast "May I join?" I asked
Julia let out a sigh "Are you sure? Daniel is here, and he'll soon be leaving for London" Julia said in a sad tone.
"I'm sure, besides, Daniel and I have talked about it, and we've decided that he can come over on his days off and I visit during holidays" I explained. Julia thought for a moment
"Gretchen, you'll be going to university soon, what's going to happen then? You are studying to be a psychoanalyst, that's lot's of work, and not lot's of free time, since it takes at least 4 years, but it takes at most 4-5 years, at least for Bachelor's Degree, and depending what course and how far you are willing to go, 14-16 years" Julia said

"I don't know; we didn't talk about that. However I might be able to find an university in London, we should talk about that once the holidays start in September" I said, since I hadn't really thought about it.

Once we finished making breakfast we carried it to the dining room where Daniel, Alfred, Jack, Colin and Andrew were sitting at the table, the young boys, Colin, aged 12, Andrew, aged 10, and Jack whose 8, had their red hair was in a mess.

I placed the meals down with Julia and we sat down. I was sitting down next to Daniel while the young boys were sitting across from us, while Julia and Alfred sat at the ends of the table. We started to eat "So Gretchen, Daniel, do you want to talk about what's going to happen with recent events, the governess will look after you boys" Alfred said at Daniel and I, before looking sternly at the boys, they just laughed.

Shortly after Jack started begging Daniel to tell him pirate stories about Captain Jack. Daniel chuckled before telling the story, having a pirate accent when 'Captain Jack' speaks. We all started laughing at Jack's reaction.

I had to admit, I loved how he could get along with the children very well. I felt my ears turn red, but I hoped my hair was covered.
Julia and I got the dishes and the cook washed the dishes as we returned. The governess came and took the boys out.

Alfred, Julia, Daniel and I sat in the parlour. "So, may I ask what's going to happen?" Alfred started
"Well..." I trailed, not really knowing how to start.
"I could come over on my days off," Daniel said, Alfred nodded
"I could go during the holidays, until Christmas break when the new year started," I said

"What's going to happen once to graduate gymnasium?" Julia asked, Daniel and I shared a look.
"Well... I was thinking that perhaps... if Gretchen wants to, and finds a university... she could stay with me" Daniel said, hesitantly, and quietly.

Alfred nodded lowly "I understand what you're saying, Gretchen, what are your thoughts?" He asked me
"I would, if I can find a university in London, near where Daniel lives, I can't depend on you two for everything," I said quietly, my face slowly heating up.