Chapter 36

Daniel chuckled as I started to write it down. He kissed my head softly, "It happens to the best of us, Gretchen. But you aren't stupid, don't ever think such things, please," He murmured into my ear.

_______________________________________

1st of January

I woke up in Daniels arms and turned over to see him asleep, as I knew he had gotten back late last night since he had a report to write and had gotten home around midnight.

I slowly pried his arms off and put a robe on and started to make some porridge. I saw Mathilde come down "Good morning, Mathilde," I said.
Mathilde and I have only known each other for a month, ever since the Cohens moved in at the start of December.

"Good morning, Gretchen, I thought Daniel would be with you," she said, looking around.
I laughed lightly "He had a report last night and got home late, so he'll probably wake up later today, probably around lunch," I explained.

Mathilde nodded and decided to help me cook "You can get changed," she said, I nodded returned to my room and got changed into dark rose red faded dress that went little past my knees and showed some collarbone and had long sleeves. I tied my hair up into it plated bun.

I looked over to Daniel and saw he still passed out, I lightly kissed his forehead before going down to where Mathilde was, Edda had also came down.

We served the bowls "Can you please wake up your parents and Inge," I asked, Mathilde nodded and woke up her family.
They all came down and had their bowls while I ate in the kitchen, when I finished, I put some food in a bowl for Hunter.
I looked back to the Cohens and saw most of them had finished eating. I took the empty bowls and Mathilde had joined me.

The Cohens had went upstairs leaving Mathilde and I alone "So, how did you and Daniel meet? I've always wondered, but all I know it had something to do with Herr Hitler," Mathilde asked.

I dropped the bowl I was holding, not expecting the question.
"We met because Daniel had received a tip that my father had been murdered, not killed in crossfire, as I've been told my whole life. Daniel ended up contacting me when he saw me defend a Jew from my brother and one of his comrades, who was also my brother's friend. I honestly don't know why I did that, probably because I thought the fear I saw when we almost hit him was real, and the screams sounded painful. Of course, I lied to why I jumped into action. Anyway, Daniel must've seen most or the end of that interaction and figured I'd work with him. He was wrong, I wanted nothing to do with it, until I looked at my father's shirt he was wearing when we died. I saw something that changed my mind. Anyway, as Daniel and I continued the investigation and some other personal things happened, I gained trust, and eventually gained feelings for your brother," I explained.

"Personal, did something happen, or something?" She asked me.
I shook my head "Daniel had nothing to do with it; it was a family matter, I guess you can call it. I don't want to go into details, lots of people say that what happens in the family, stays in the family. Besides, I don't like talking about it, I normally end up breaking down. Alfred has made the comment that I'm still getting over it," I explained. She nodded, not prying in.

We finished washing and drying the dishes. Suddenly the telephone rang making me jump slightly.
I went the telephone "Hello, Gretchen Whitestone speaking," I said into the telephone.
"Gretchen, it's Alfred and Julia," I heard Alfred's voice say.
"Oh, is there anything I can do for you?" I asked.
There was silence for a second "Well, you said you couldn't make it for Christmas, we were thinking we can come over for new year's? And we need to do something for you and Daniels engagement," Alfred asked.
"Um, well, Daniel and I were planning to attend the party, but something came up unexpectedly. Daniel had a report last night, so he's asleep, I might be able to call you back later," I said.