chapter 6

A/N : not me just realizing that i made them wait nine fucking months to say i love you- wtf, anyways lets change that right now. i mean fr i have trust and abandonement/attachment issues and i didn't even take that long to tell my boyfriend i love him.

the past three months had been amazing for the couple, they went on regular dinners with Hotch and got much closer with him. they even had a tradition of going to eachothers houses for dinner after work, every friday. today was a friday but as they were getting back from a case they decided to do it on another night so that Spencer could surprise Elizabeth and go out for their sixth month anniversary that passed the day before he left on the case. they already had a small celebration where they stayed in and gave eachother gifts but Spencer still wanted to take her out.

they were on the way back from the case when Spencer's phone rang, he excused himself to the little kitchenette they had on the jet for some privacy and answered "hey baby" he said and she smiled on the other end of the phone, still not able to get over the nickname she loved so dearly "hello my love" she giggled as she answered excitedly "are you guys almost here?" she asked, sounding a bit sad "yeah we land in less than a half hour, what's wrong?" he asks concerned and she sighs "nothing, i just really miss you right now"

he smiled at her reply "i miss you too Izzy, even if it's only been a few days. i really hate being away from you" she loved the nickname he gave her, he insisted on not calling her something everyone else did so he decided on that and she melted everytime she heard it "i'll tell you what, i was planning on taking you out to dinner tonight for our anniversary but given the case we just had i kind of lost my appetite" he almost gagged remembering the cannibal they just had to profile "how about i take you out for some ice cream, we can dress up way too fancy for it and amaze everyone with your gorgeous looks"

she laughed at his suggestion but quickly agreed to it as she loved dressing up "only if you wear a suit and show off your sexy looks and that beautiful new haircut" he laughed lightly "i thought you hated my haircut" she shook her head even though he couldn't see her "i don't hate it" he made a sound of disbelief at that "you threatened to break up with me unless i went and taped the hair back to my head" they both laughed loudly at the memory "that was a slight overreaction but in my defense you told me over the phone and you knew how much i loved your long hair, i told you how good you looked when i finally saw it"

"

yeah, yeah. we're about to land so i'll see you in a bit okay?" she smiled at that, she couldn't wait to see him again "alright i lo-" she cut herself off as she realized what she was about to say "i'll um- i'll see you soon" she corrected quickly before hanging up abruptly and hitting her own forehead at what she almost did "idiot" she repeated to herself for a full five minutes before deciding to get ready for their date, hoping he wouldn't mention her slip up.

Spencer however stood in shock for a few minutes, he decided to go back to his seat and not think about it for a while. they landed and he went home to grab a suit and a few things so that he could stay over at Elizabeth's for a few days, he got to her apartment not long after and used his key to just walk in "hey i'm back!" he said loud enough for her to hear and her reply came instantly "in here!" she yelled from her room and he walked in to find her struggling to put her necklace on "hey, perfect timing. could you please help me put this dumbass necklace on" he laughs at her before stepping behind her and fixing the necklace, he looks up into the mirror and realizes something "hey! i got you this necklace"

she laughs as she turns around to wrap her arms around his neck "so?" she asks innocently "so i was very proud of this present and you can't call it dumb" he fake pouts and she giggles at his antics before pulling him into a passionate kiss "i missed you so much" she says, repeating what she voiced on the phone earlier as she hugs him tightly "i missed you more baby" he replies. without letting go he pulls out his phone and put their song on, slow dancing in their room as Falling by Harry Styles played softly in the background.

they stay wrapped in eachothers arms until Spencer's phone rings two minutes later, he groans but smiles as he sees the caller id "it's Aaron" he tells her before answering it with one arm still around her "hey what's go-" he stopped talking immediately, his arm and smile dropping at the same time "what?" he asks angry and clearly upset "i'm on my way" he says before hanging up, "i'm sorry baby but i have to go" he kisses Elizabeth before rushing to the kitchen to grab his keys. just as he's about to leave she stops him by grabbing his arm and turning him to face her "Spence what's going on?"

he calms down for a second before she sees his eyes tearing up "it's Garcia" he pauses for a second to get himself together "she was shot, she's in your hospital and-and they can't get a hold of Derek" a tear slipped from his eyes before he could stop it and she pulled him into a hug "hey, hey, it's okay Spence. it's alright, she's gonna be fine okay" she comforts him before pulling away "you go to the hospital and i'll be right here if you need me, i'm gonna try to switch my shifts around so i can work tomorow and make sure Penelope has the best care possible okay?" he nods in reply "i'll keep you updated, i promise" he says before kissing her one last time and leaving.

 he kept his promise and called her everytime something happened until it became too late and he told her to go to sleep and he would call again if something important changed as she now had a shift early in the morning to take care of Garcia. she reluctantly agreed as she was very tired and went to sleep at around one in the morning, it was short lived however when she heard frantic knocking at her door three hours later. she rushed to get up and checked the peep hole, opening the door confused when she saw who was there "Spence? it's four am what are you doing here? is Penelope okay?" she asked tiredly but still concerned.

he nodded as he frantically walked into the apartment "yeah Garcia's gonna be fine, she just got out of surgery and she's stable" she smiled at that "Spencer that's great but why do you seem so freaked out if she's o-" before she could finish he cut her off as he started to ramble nervously "the doctors told us that the bullet only missed her heart by a few inches, she could've-she could've died tonight and i realized that if she had she would never know how much i care about her. i mean we all know that we care about eachother and that the team are like a family but her and Derek are like my siblings and i never had the chance to directly tell her how much i loved her and i couldn't stand the idea of something happening to someone else i love without them knowing how i feel"

she gasped at that, realizing what he meant "Spencer what are you saying?" she asked to be sure and he strode over to her, cupping her face in both of his hands "i'm saying that i heard what you almost said over the phone and i need you to know that i love you with every cell in my body, with every beat of my heart and every single ounce of my being. i love you Elizabeth Ann Wilson" she pulled him close to her and kissed him with everything she could muster "i love you too Spencer Reid, with everything i have"

he slept at her apartment that night and every night after that until they solved Garcia's case and went on their next one. not long after that they decided to move into Spencer's apartment together, not wanting to waste a single minute apart when he was home from cases. they had the perfect relationship and Elizabeth got more and more comfortable with Spencer going on cases, he had gotten small injuries but never anything too bad. she was of course still worried about him constantly but not as much as when they first started dating, not until she got the call she had been dreading for months. worst of all, she got the call on their one year anniversary, six months later.