chapter 7

Spencer had promised to take time out of his day no matter how busy he was to call Elizabeth at least once every day while he was at work, today was the day before their one year anniversary and Spencer had been working on a local case. he had promised that he would be home that night so that he could wake up next to her on their anniversary but it was getting late and he still hadn't even called, she assumed that he was just really swamped and didn't think too much of it as she went to sleep that night.

her worry only grew however as she woke up the next morning and his side of the bed had been cold and unmoved as if no one had touched it, she tried to calm herself down by making excuses that he had fallen asleep at the office or on the couch or something. she couldn't think of the worst case scenario right now, she really couldn't handle that. as she went through the possibilities in her head her phone started ringing, she sighed in relief thinking it was Spencer but her heart dropped as she saw Aaron on the caller id.

she calmed her breathing, trying to think of any other reason he would be calling "Aaron please don't say it" was the first thing out of her mouth as she answered the phone, hearing him sigh before speaking her fears were confirmed "no, no, please Aaron. please tell me he's okay. please" she repeated the last word over and over again "Liz i'm so sorry, we were investigating some break ins and um- and murders" he explained and she gasped at the thought of what this guy was capable of "we found the guy, his name is Tobias Hankle. we didn't know he was the unsub, we thought he was just a possible witness so we sent him and JJ alone, but-"

he hesitated to continue "but what Aaron?" she asked and he sighed once more "they split up and he took Spencer, he sent us a live stream of him and Spencer, we will find him i promise you" she suddenly found herself unable to breath properly "Liz?" he called but she couldn't answer "Elizabeth!" he called louder "i gotta go" is all she could say before hanging up and hitting the second speed dial on her phone "hey El what's-" Maddie stopped talking as she heard her crying and barely breathing, she quickly hangs up and Elizabeth folds into herself.

she cried into her knees and ignored her phone continuously going off until her bedroom door slammed open five minutes later and she was pulled into a tight hug by her best friend "hello?" she heard her answer the phone "yeah Aaron she's okay, what happened?" Maddie had become close with Spencer and Hotch months ago and they still regularly talk so she was also devastated by the news, but she had to stay strong for her best friend "alright, keep us updated please" they said their goodbyes and hung up.

Maddie held her until she finally calmed down and sat up to look at her "Maddie i don't know what i would do if-" she cut her off instantly "hey, you can't think like that okay. he will be fine, they will find him and bring him back to you" she tries to protest but is immediately cut off again "they. will. find. him" she says again, this time slower and Elizabeth can't do anything but nod before she starts crying again and buries her head into her best friend's chest until she runs out of tears to weep.

Maddie helps her to the living room and sits her on the couch so that she can keep an eye on her as she makes some food for them to eat, giving her a cup of water before returning to the kitchen. as she was busying herslef in the kitchen she spotted Elizabeth standing up and rushing to the bookcase near the couch, most likely spotting something. she took a book out of its place and opened the first page, gasping at the contents "what? what did you find?" she asks quickly "he kept it, i thought i lost this" is all she answered as she closed the book back up and ran a finger over the cover.

it was In Search Of Lost Time by Marcel Proust, the book she gave him when they first met. she hugged it as she sat back on the couch and started crying again, she opened it and smiled at the little message she left him with her phone number. her eyebrows furrowed however as she looked down and saw more writing on the page, it was the date they met and some scribbles in Spencer's hand writing "this was the day i met the love of my life, we've been dating three months but i already know i want to marry this girl. she is my everything and i can't wait to spend the rest of my life showing her just how much she means to me" is what he had written.