Four

Audrey leads Braeden into the daycare the following Monday so he could play with other kids and make new friends. He runs straight to Olivia as she gets him signed in, turning to him when she is done to find her with who she can only assume is Olivia's mother.

She smiles at Audrey as the kids run away together, holding her hand out to Audrey. "You must be Audrey. Adam told me about running into you and all about Olivia's infatuation with your son, Braeden. I'm Samantha."

"That's right." Audrey smiles, shaking her hand before dropping her hand to her side. "It's really nice to meet you. I'm sorry about Braeden, Olivia is the first friend he's really ever made."

"It's totally fine." She shrugs. "Cute, ironic even. Your and Adam's kids getting along so well."

Audrey blushes as she follows Samantha out of the building. "Yeah, I guess so."

Samantha chuckles, waving her hand dismissively before grabbing Audrey's arm gently. "Really, it's fine. Adam has talked about you. We've gotten a lot closer since we got divorced. Ironic, but true. He's coined you as the 'one that got away'."

"He really said that?" She swallows hard as there is a slight ache in her chest at Samantha's confession.

She shrugs. "Yeah. Said you ended up staying here for college and he went away, and you lost touch. By the time he got back here, it was too late, and you have moved to the west coast."

"A lot has happened since high school..."

Samantha smiles, patting her arm reassuringly. "I'm sure. I should get to work. If it's okay, I can get your number from Adam for play dates? Or just to talk if you like."

"I'd really like that." Audrey smiles at Samantha. "It was nice to meet you, Samantha."

"Sam is fine. Nice to meet you too, Audrey."

She thinks about Sam's confession about Adam on her drive to the office. She knew there was a possibility that he might still have feelings for her, but she didn't know he considered her the one that got away. She had considered him the same, before... but not after everything that happened with Andy. But Andy was now supposedly engaged to someone else and happy. So maybe she could have her happily ever after with Adam she dreamed about before meeting Andy...

***

Andy watches Audrey enter the office in a black pencil skirt and matching blazer with a light green blouse underneath. She had her dirty blonde hair pulled back into a neat bun. He swallowed hard when her eyes met his as David approached her. She quickly glanced away from him, looking back at David with a grin. The way she looked at Andy made his heart ache, heavy in his chest.

"Andy!"

He looks up as another attorney, Brian, approaches his desk. "What's up?"

Brian laugh, crossing his arms over his chest. "What's up? What do you mean? Did you propose to Lily this weekend?"

Audrey hears Brian ask the question as she looks up to see Andy watching her. She blushed, looking back at David, pretending to not to hear Andy answer.

"Nah. I decided it wasn't really the right time."

Audrey approaches slowly with David as Brian scoffs. "What? She's literally perfect. If you aren't going to lock her down, pass her onto someone who will."

Audrey rolls her eyes as she sees Andy do the same, motioning for Brian to go away. "Fuck off." He stands up from his desk as Brian rushes away as Audrey and David reach his desk. "Morning."

Audrey gives him a small smile but doesn't say anything as David takes the lead. "I told Audrey she'd be working with you on your new case to ease her in. You guys have worked together before, right? She can work in here just until we finish getting her office together."