Eleven

Friday is funeral of Audrey's father. She gets Braeden dressed in a small black suit she bought in and slip into a simple black, lace dress that falls to her knees. She doesn't want to go, always hating funerals. She understood the need to celebrate the life of the person, but she didn't understand the point of saying goodbye to what was essentially an empty vessel. She didn't understand the need to set up the dead body for people to come and gawk at. It seemed disrespectful to her, but what did she know? The only reprieve to her was that Andy said he would come. For comfort and for help with Braeden.

She was sure Adam would show up as well, as if it wasn't already awkward enough between Andy and her. But what can she really expect from the man when she takes his son across the country and don't tell him for four years.

"Come on, mama!" Braeden demands, throwing open the front door.

She slips on her black kitten heels and grab his hand, leading him out to the car. He's quiet on the drive to the funeral home, seemingly knowing that today was a somber day. Andy is there to greet them once they arrive, offering her a small smile as he scoops Braeden into his arms. "How are you, Addie?"

She shrugs as he wraps his free arm around her, leaning to kiss the side of her head. "I'm fine. Thank you for coming, Andy."

"Of course, baby." Andy watches as Audrey has to plaster on a fake smile and say thank you to fake condolences, standing next to her mother. Braeden spends most of the time with him until he sees his friend, Olivia; Olivia who just happens to be Adam's daughter, of course.

Was he jealous of their friendship? A little bit. They had history. High school sweethearts and first loves. But he moved on while in college, leaving her to do the same. But now here he was almost ten years later, trying to get her back, and it was killing him to watch her thinking about it. She doesn't know what she wants and he knows if he were to give in and decide he's ready to move on with her, she would be willing. But he wasn't ready to forgive her yet.

Andy watches a dark-haired man entered the funeral home and he seemed around Audrey's age with brown eyes. When Braeden sees him, he runs to him. Who was this man that his son was running to?

"Simon!" Braeden grins at him as he picks him up, pressing him firmly against his chest as he makes his way to Audrey who now had tears streaking her cheeks.

"Simon. What are you doing in Boston? Audrey watches Simon set Braeden on his feet as she sinks into his arms. She rests her head on his chest as he holds her tight against his chest.

Andy moves closer to try and hear their conversation as he glances at Adam and see he was as confused as he was.

"I missed you guys. I wanted come and see you and the little man. I heard you father died. I'm so sorry, love." Simon cradles her face in his hands, resting his forehead against hers.

"I missed you too, Simon. So much."

Love? Andy groaned in his head as he felt sick to his stomach as so many questions went through his head about them. He moves closer and picks Braeden up to make himself known to both of them.

Audrey notices Andy and smiles at Simon. "This is Andy, Braeden's father. Andy, this is Simon. He's a friend of mine from Washington."

Andy nods and shakes Simon's hand as his smile drops and he looks at Audrey, scoffing. "What's the problem?" Andy demands as Simon shrugs.

"Nothing."

Audrey groans, grabbing Simon's hand. "Not now Simon. Not here."

Braeden reaches for Simon, pulling away from Andy as Simon pulls him back in his arms. Andy scoffs lightly. "Well, I guess if I'm not needed, I'll just go." He knows he's being immature, but he didn't care.

"Andy!" Audrey grabs his hand before he can walk away. "Please don't leave me."

"Why not?" Simon offers. "It's what he does. He walks away." He huffs, clenching his jaw, annoyed.

Andy grabs Braeden and sets him on his feet. "Why don't you go play with Olivia and Adam, bud." He turns back to Simon after Braeden disappears. "What is your problem?"

Simon scoffs, pushing him slightly. "You."

Audrey groans as people started looking their way now and she ushers them both into an empty room. "Simon, stop it!"

Simon shakes his head, pointing at Andy. "He has the audacity to call himself Braeden's father when I was the one that was there while you were pregnant. I was there while you gave birth. I watched Braeden when you had to work. I was there when he took his first steps. Yet he gets to come and swoop in and claim he's the father. I have been more of a father to that boy than he ever has."

"Look, Simon... I only just found out about him a week ago. So, I don't appreciate you coming in here and trying to undermine me or my relationship with my son when you don't even know me."

Simon scoffs angrily. "I know enough! The older man that took advantage of Addie. Pulled her into a relationship and claimed her virginity while you were still married, knowing that you would never choose her. All just to break her heart and force her to move across country to raise your child, alone." He chuckles, "well not completely alone. I was there after all."

Andy stands, dumbfounded at his words. Did Simon say anything untrue? No. Andy deserved it and he knew it. But it still made him angry. Not because Simon was wrong, but because he was right and because he got to do all the things that were meant for him. Things that Audrey took from him when she left.

"Simon, it isn't all his fault, and you know it." She grabs Simon's hand, and he squeezes it as Andy sees red. He doesn't have time to think before his fist makes contact with Simon's jaw. "Andy!" She gasps, moving in front of Simon before he can retaliate, but she's glaring at Andy and not Simon. "Andy, please go."

"But..." Andy points at Simon and his smug face as he clutches his jaw. "He..." He what? He hurt Andy's feelings. He groans in his head; grow up.

"Andy, go. And don't let Braeden see you leave. Please!" She crosses her arms over her chest, staring at him angrily.

Andy's heart is shattered even though he knows it was wrong to hit Simon who again gets to swoop in after Andy's done the wrong thing and gets to be the hero. "Fine."