Thirteen

"Was that really necessary?!" Audrey asks Simon after getting Braeden down for a nap after the funeral.

Simon is splayed out across her couch with an ice pack on his jaw, grinning. "Was what necessary? I didn't do anything."

"Yes you did." She rolls her eyes before kicking off her shoes and plopping beside him. "You antagonized Andy. Why are you here?"

He sighs, tossing the ice pack on the coffee table before turning to face her. "I'm here to interview at some firms. And I meant what I said, I miss you. And Braeden. And it hurt when you left. I think you at the very least, owe me a conversation."

He nuzzles her neck, laying a kiss at the base of her throat. "Simon..." He doesn't stop, moving his lips just below her ear, nipping at her lobe as she moans softly. He moves to wrap an arm around her, pulling her into his lap so she's straddling him.

He cradles her face, resting his forehead against hers. "Tell me to stop, love."

She shakes her head, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I miss you too, Simon."

He groans, nodding. "Tell me you're not with me. Tell me you haven't slept with him..."

"I haven't," she whispers against his mouth just before he crashes his mouth against hers. He thrusts his tongue into her mouth, tangling with hers as they both moan and she realizes just how much she missed him. He grips her hips before moving a hand to her cheek, stroking his thumb along her cheek gently.

He finally pulls his mouth away from hers with a groan, hard under her. "I miss you, Addie. And I'm angry that you just up and left me like that. As if me being at your side for years meant nothing."

"Simon... I know. I'm so sorry." She cradles his face, groaning slightly. "You were amazing with Braeden and with me. The best father and partner I could have ever asked for. And I'm so sorry for taking him from you. But I couldn't keep him from his father any longer."

"I get that," he sighs. "But we could have come together. You didn't have to leave me."

"I know. I don't want you wasting any more time on me though, Simon."

"I love you, Addie. No time with you is wasted." He smirks cockily as she smiles, giggling slightly.

"Where are you staying? Are you actually interviewing?"

"I am," he chuckles. "On Monday. I came early when I heard about your father. And I thought that I could stay with you."

"I only have two bedrooms, Simon."

He shrugs, grinning. "As if we've never slept together before. So, can I stay? Please?"

She laughs as he tries out his best wounded puppy face. "You knew that I wouldn't be able to say no, didn't you?"

"I was sort of counting on it, yeah. So, talk to me about what has been happening." She moves to get off his lap, but he shakes his head, wrapping his arms around her tighter. "No. Stay right here. I miss you."

She nods her agreement with a small sigh. "Well, Andy has known about Braeden now for almost a week and he was understandably upset. Pissed really. He wants a chance to know his son, which is his right. He's taking him shopping tomorrow to set up a room for him at his place. He says he doesn't know if he's ready to move on to something with us. We haven't slept together, no. Not so much as kissed."

He sighs, obviously relieved as he smiles. "Good. I'm not too late then."

She giggles, shaking her head slightly. "Simon, it's already so complicated here."

He shrugs linking his fingers behind her back. "There's never been anything complicated here. It's always been easy between us."

"Ever since you pushed your way into my apartment and my life you mean?" She teases as he laughs, and she sighs. "Of course, I'm not going to kick you out. You can stay."

"Yes!" He grins wide as she giggles.

He kisses her once more before she gets up from the couch. "It'll be nice to have you around. You'll stay for Braeden's birthday next weekend?"

"That's the other reason I'm here. I've never missed a birthday and I don't plan to start now."

***

There is a knock on the door in the morning as they clean up breakfast and Braeden yells, "Daddy is here!"

Audrey chuckles, following Braeden to the door, opening it for Andy. "Hi."

Andy smiles at her and Braeden. "I was hoping today was still okay?"

"Of course. Come in, Andy."

He looks past her as Simon enters the living room with a smile. "Hey, Andy. I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I know you not being around wasn't really your fault. And I shouldn't have purposely antagonized you."

Andy accepts Simon's hand when he offers it, shaking it quickly before dropping his hand to his side. "I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have hit you. You were right about what you said, and it made me mad. You have no idea how much I would have wanted to be there." He looks back at Audrey hesitantly. "Can we talk for a minute? Alone..."

"Of course." She follows him onto the front porch, closing the door. "I'm sorry. I didn't know he was coming."

"He stayed here?!"

"Yeah." She shrugs nonchalantly.

Andy groans. "I broke up with Lily for you!"

"No," she scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest, "you said you broke up with Lily to take time to get to know your son."

"Yes," he sighs. "But... are you sleeping with him?"

"Not that it is any of your business, Andrew Barber, but we've never slept together."

"I told you that I needed time. But I haven't stopped wanting you." He sighs, bringing a hand to her cheek. "Don't just rush into something else because I need some time. You and me are end game."

She groans, knocking his hand away. "You don't get to do this to me, Andy! I won't downplay what we had before, but you hurt me. And you don't get to dictate what I do with my life or who I date or don't date. I'm letting you have a relationship with your son; besides that, you get no say."

"Fine!" He huffs, pushing past her into the house to find Braeden waiting for him, talking with Simon. "Come on, bud." He turns back to Audrey, barely looking at her. "I'll have him back by dinner." He scoops Braeden into his arms, leaving quickly.

As soon as the door shuts behind them, Simon pulls Audrey to him by her waist as she giggles. "What are you doing?"

"Come on, when have we ever had time to ourselves without Braeden? I miss you. I love you. And I want you... And I plan on showing you just how much."

Audrey groans, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Simon..."

"Don't you think you've punished yourself enough? I'm not like him." He lifts her up as if she weighs nothing and she wraps her legs around him. "Tell me to stop and I will. Tell me to stop and I won't take this any further."

"Even with knowing that I'm still in love with Andy, too?"

He nods, smiling as he moves toward her bedroom. "I'm not asking for a commitment right now. I'm just begging you to let me take you back to bed."

She giggles, nodding. "Okay. Take me back to bed, Simon..."