forty-four

< September >
< Tuesday 20, 2022 >

{ Holland }

Today is our 18-week appointment and today we get to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. We're going to our appointment first then heading to Michael's for a pool day and to tell them what we find out.

I actually had quite a bit of energy this morning, so I got up and got stuff done while Ashton was working on something in his home studio. I started laundry and cleaned then got stuff put away and in the dishwasher in the kitchen.

When I had mostly everything done, I packed Ashton and me a pool bag then sat on the couch and relaxed some, rewatching One Tree Hill. Once I sat down though, my back was hurting and a tired feeling came over me.

My hands went down to the small bump, rubbing over the side of it. Suddenly I felt movement- like something pushing against my hand. The baby was lightly kicking. I knew it would start around this time but I really wasn't expecting it yet.

The baby just kept kicking, making me holler for Ashton so he didn't miss it. I'm sure he thought something was wrong based on how he was running up the steps. I scare him every time I yell for him to come see something.

"What? What?" he panicked, making me chuckle,

"Come here" I smiled, holding out my hand. He took it and I pulled him to sit next to me then slowly moved his hand to my stomach where the kicking was. Ashton's eyes lit up and he looked at me,

"They're moving" he beamed. I grinned and placed my hand next to his as the baby settled down,

"That's so cool" he laughed, still not moving his hand, "Maybe they'll move around at the doctor and we'll be able to see them more"

"Maybe" I smiled and pushed some of his hair back from his face, "What do you think we're going to have?"

Ashton thought for a second and sat back, pulling me to his body,

"I think it's a boy. I think we're going to have all boys honestly" he admitted. I nodded because I agreed. I think he and I are meant to be boy parents for some reason. I had always wanted to be a boy mom- I don't know why exactly, but its true.

"I guess we will find out in an hour" I smiled, "Which means, we should probably get going"

****

We got to the doctor's office and headed inside. I checked in and we were taken back to a room right after. I sat up on the table and lifted my shirt as the doctor put the gel on my stomach. As she started the ultrasound, Ashton held my hand as we all watched the screen.

"And there they are" she smiled, "And they are sucking their thumb"

Ashton and I laughed. Both Ashton and I were thumbsuckers so we figured our kid would too,

"Can you tell what we are having?" I asked. She nodded and started rotating the wand some to get a better angle,

"And if you look right there at the legs, you guys are having a boy"

Ashton and I looked at each other with tears in our eyes,

"I knew it" Ashton spoke. I playfully shook my head and pecked his lips,

"I'll leave you two and go grab those photos for you" the doctor smiled. We nodded and she left the room, allowing me to wipe the gel off and fix my shirt,

"We need to think of names" Ashton spoke like his head was going to explode,

"Babe" I laughed, "We have some time. But, if it makes you feel better, I do have some ideas"

"Can we talk about them after we hang out with our friends?" he asked,

"Of course. It'll be tonights pillowtalk"

Ashton chuckled and hugged me tight, kissing the top of my head,

"Awesome"

****

As we walked into Michael and Crystal's backyard, we were bombarded. Everyone wanted to know,

"Woah guys hold on" Ashton chuckled, carrying our bag and the cupcakes we brought to tell them. They all groaned and backed off.

I took a seat on the outdoor furniture while Ashton sat our bag down and brought the box of cupcakes over,

"You wanna know?" he smirked, then opened the box to show them the blue iced cupcakes. Crystal, Grace, and Sierra both screamed and jumped up,

"I knew it!" Sierra pointed a finger at Luke, "I told all of you"

"She did. She was the only one who thought it was a boy" Grace laughed then hugged me tight, "I'm happy for you. I know you always wanted to be a boy mom"

"Thank you" I smiled, "Maybe Ash will like the boy name I've had at the top of my list since I was 16"

"I think he will" she told me, pulling away, "It's a name that I think he'd chose too"

I nodded with a smile. Grace and I have always talked about our futures and kids. We both have had baby name lists since we were in middle school and would look at kids' rooms on Pinterest, finding room ideas for kids down the road.

After everyone had calmed down, we decided to get into the pool. I went to climb on Ashton's back like always, but the bump prevented it. It's not huge, but just big enough that it's in the way.  Instead of that, Ashton sat back against the wall and let me sit on his legs with my back to his chest. His arms wrapped around my waist and his hands rested on the bottom of the bump. It felt like such a domestic situation,

"So, are you going to be able to go to London for the album release? And like Australia?" Luke asked, glancing at Ashton and me,

"I can definitely go to London" I nodded, "As of right now, I can go to Australia but I'll have to take it easy and be safe"

"We'll make sure you stay safe and keep safe" Michael promised.

****

Ashton and I left the Clifford's around 10:00 and headed right home. We both showered and crawled into bed.

Ashton laid behind me, arm tossed over my side and was continually pressing kisses to my shoulder,

"Can you tell me the name you like?" he asked. I smiled lightly to myself and rolled onto my back. Ashton shuffled and rested his head on my chest,

"I have two that I love" I told him, "Cruz and Jaxtyn"

Ashton hummed and nodded his head,

"I like both of those a lot actually" he spoke, "Can we still look around though at some others?"

"Of course Ash" I nodded, "We don't have to decide his name this very second"

Ashton nodded and moved closer to the bump, kissing it a few times,

"I don't know if it's like really hit me yet that I'm gonna be a dad. Like I feel all the emotions and I already have love for him, but like I feel like its not here yet"

I nodded and ran my hand through his hair,

"Once we do more prep stuff, like getting his room ready, it'll probably hit some more" I told him, "But that's okay if it doesn't. But I know when he's here, you're going to love him so much and you're going to be the best dad ever"

"I just want to be better than my dad" he whispered. I sighed and kissed his head,

"You won't be. You're not like him. Don't compare yourself to him"

Ashton nodded and scooted back to his pillow,

"I love you, and I'm glad I married you, and I'm glad it's you who's going to be the mother of our children" he spoke, "I couldn't imagine my life without you"

"My life would be miserable without you"