Dangerous Game

December 1st 1895

The night was a special kind of blackness, the kind that wants only to hold the stars and help them to shine all the brighter. It was a warm black that hugged you no matter what, wrapping the whole camp in its embrace.

The clattering of numerous kitchen utensils was drowned out by the gentle chatter of people surrounding the fire. Few lamps lit the camp, just enough light to make it back to your tent, dark enough so the rest of the sleeping members could rest peacefully.

Unlike one particular member. Katherine sat crossed legged on her small cot, pulling the dark green skirt over her exposed feet, keeping the cold draft off. In front lay a box, not just any box, but the one containing the unopened; notes, letters and photos she recently stole from a house robbery. They had remained there, untouched ever since she came back.

Her hands rested on the side of the wooden lid, building up the courage to lift it up. The long sleeves of her beige shirt covered her hands as she tapped nervously on the lid. This woman could shoot a man in cold blood and not feel a thing, jump on the back of an unbroken stallion and not falter, but opening some of her mothers old keepsakes. Well now that's crossing the line.

Finally, pushing aside any thoughts the girl wrapped her fingers round the crevice pulling it off. Suddenly, a knock came to the side of her wagon. Quickly shoving the lid on, and trying to push it to the side, unsuccessful at her attempt to hide it as the person already invited themselves in.

"Hey, Kath... Your father and and Hosea are waiting for ya. "

Katherine sighed, annoyed at the intrusion, but relieved at not having to hide what she was doing.

"You finally looking at that stuff. What's it been like over a month since we found it? "

Rolling her eyes, she looked up to the smug grin of a familiar outlaw, his arms folded as he lent against one of the many wooden support beams.

"Like you said. I might not like what I find at the end of it, so why look if I'm just going to hate myself later for it, or worse taint the good image I have of my mother. " Katherine spoke quietly, fixing the wooden top on carefully, lifting it down to hide back under her bed.

Arthur shrugged his shoulder, "it's just like ripping an old bandage off. Do it quick and deal with the consequences later. "

Katherine slowly fitted her warm boots to her feet as the outlaw continued to speak.

"You either gotta get it over with now as it's going to eat at you until ya do. Or chuck it on the fire and never know, soon enough you'll forget. "

"I ain't doing either of them things, I'll just look at it when it feels right, " she dusted off her skirt, flattening the few creases.

"Thing is princess, it'll keep gnawing at ya, like a, a horsefly on a horse. "

The girl chuckled, "that's a shit analogy."

Arthur scoffed, "the point is. You've been quiet lately, I know it's been bugging you. No matter what you find, if anything, your father loves you and I know your mother did. Whatever secret life or family your parents have doesn't effect the life you have now. If it were me, I'd rather know so I could enjoy it or completely block it outta my life. "

"Yeah, but I'm not you, " Katherine stood under Arthur's gaze.

"I mean ya seem to copy everything I do, just slower, " Arthur chuckled.

"Ha, ha. Very funny, you know you ain't the only person here who enjoys shooting guns and refusing to do camp chores, " Katherine countered, her eyes staring intently to the blue orbs of the gunslinger.