Chapter 6

It was midnight and I was fast asleep. Just like any normal person at this hour at night. That is, until Carrie called me. I was a pretty heavy sleeper but the annoying vibrating sound was hard to ignore. Usually, I would ignore it and go back to sleep but where I saw that it was Carrie who called, I should probably answer.

"What's up, Care?" I answered.

"Are you awake?" she asked rather quickly.

"I am now," I answered. "Why are you up? It's in the middle of the night. Is something wrong?"

"No, everything's fine," she answered calmly.

"Okay...then why are you calling?" I asked curiously

"Can't sleep," she answered shortly.

"Why?"

"I don't know...I get really scared sometimes living here alone. I'm always afraid something is going to happen."

"Don't be scared. You're safe, I promise," I told her. Hearing her say that she was scared concerned me a lot. We've been dating for a month now and each day I feel I would learn something new, mostly about her friends and family and childhood, what she does outside of her work life, the cute little ways she acts. But this was different I felt like.

"You're probably right," she replied. "I'm probably just paranoid or something. It's just I get so freaked out living here all alone."

"Do you want me to come over there? Maybe some company will make you feel more comfortable."

"You don't have to. It's in the middle of the night and you probably have practice in the morning."

"Coach gave us the day off so I'm good. I'll be over there in a few, okay?"

"Okay."

I hung up with Carrie and made my way downstairs and out the door to go to Carrie's house. I arrived there minutes later and Carrie answered the door.

"Thanks for coming, babe," she smiled up at me. I could tell by the way her eyes looked up into mine that there was a bit of fear and embarrassment.

"Of course," I replied. "Anything to be with you."

We walked in hand in hand where we kind of stopped in the middle of the living room. "So I'll just sleep out here on the couch if that's okay with you," I said to Carrie.

"Ya," she nodded. "But can you lay down with me? Until I fall asleep at least."
I nodded and we walked upstairs into her bedroom together where we laid down on her bed. She immediately cuddled up against me and rested her head between my chest and shoulder. I wrapped my arms around her rubbing her back soothingly occasionally running my fingers through her silky long blonde hair.

"I feel so safe with you," she said.

"I'm glad, babe," I replied. "How about you get some sleep now."
She picked her head up and rested her hand on my chest for leverage as her lips reached up to meet mine before she rested her head back down on me before she drifted off to sleep. When her breathing evened out, I slowly got up out of bed, kissed her forehead, and left to go downstairs for the night knowing Carrie would be uncomfortable in the morning if she saw I had stayed in bed with her the night before. That's one of the things I loved about her. Actually, I just loved her. Everything about her.