Chapter Five

SONG: Yellow Moon by Luca D'Alberto

Nova Johnson

When I was younger, I tried to go get the ball from the neighbours porch. But my mother got me just in time before i grasped it. I cried my entire heart out to her, begging her to let me get it but she just shoved me into my bedroom and left me upset.

The next morning, the same ball was in my garden. I knew it was the little boy by the window, he helped me get it. For some reason, I felt bad. What if he had gotten caught or gotten in trouble? What if he had gotten hurt? So, I decided to go out into the garden at night. I made sure to be as silent as I could. I rushed towards the slide, climbed up It's stairs and settled at the top.

The little boy was there, standing by the same window. I gave him a little wave, and when he returned it- I remember seeing blood leaking down his hands. Oh god the fear that it caused me, I knew his parents did that because of the ball. I see the kitchen lights switch on in my house, and as much as I wanted to stay with him. I couldn't.

I had to run off before my mum would see me, and then...I never saw him again.

It felt as if I was being suffocated, I sat up immediately and pushed the covers away from my body. It was only five in the morning, but it felt as if I have been asleep for a century. Sweat is being formed on my forehead, I rip the covers from my legs and slide of my bed. My fingers push through my hair, the little boy is still in my mind after nine years.

"I helped you...I helped you get the ball, and you never helped me." My head snatched to the corner of the room, and the scream that I muffled down with my hand etched. I see the little boy standing in the corner, his hands leaking with blood. "You never helped me."

"I-I'm sorry..."I whisper out. "I am so sorry, I tried to help-"

"No, you didn't..."

He disappeared, tears were leaking from my eyes, and I have yet to notice them. I grab a pair of training clothes, slipped on my trainers and went to brush my teeth and wash my face. Once I was ready, I needed nothing more than to leave this apartment.

I tried locking the door with my trembling arms, but the keys kept dropping on the floor. "Stop. He's not real. He's not fucking real." I whisper, my forehead pressing against my door. I try to stop my shaking hands, "it's not your fault."

What could I have done? What really could I have done? I have school in two hours, my car felt like it was a mile away, my arms were trembling from yesterday's workout.

I park in my usual spot and walk the rest to campus. A lot more people were here since it was exam week. I haven't revised as much but I don't need to seeing as I already have high grades. I push open the door and walk-through security as usual.

I only had maths as a lesson which took two or three hours. It was my favourite lesson though, I love maths. Equations all sorts. I reach my locker, unlocking it with my keys. The moment it opens, a load of books fall onto my feet. Papers flying out everywhere as I step back and then I only notice the fake blood leaking down my locker. Fear ignites my heart as I look around to see people laughing, or some gasping in shock.

Then...i see a ball. The same exact ball that-the little boy gave me.

I slam my locker shut, turn my head and lock eyes with a pair of brown ones. And just by the way he stood so carelessly i knew he did this. I knew he knew about my mums book. I knew he knows something that I don't. He slides on his leather jacket and walks away into the darkness of the hallway.

"Leo did this? What? Why though?"

"That was his stepbrother...her mum wrote a book about their family..."