Chapter Twenty Seven

Alexander Solonik

"Alexander..."Nova whispers, blood dribbling down the corner of her mouth.

"Nova, you're okay. You're good, you survived a papercut, you can survive this." I chuckle out to distract her from the pain, Nova smiles gently as her hands graze onto mine.

"That's true, I survived three paper cuts." Her eyes gently begin to close.

While I lifted her, her head fell gently into my chest as I pushed pressure onto her wound. It was too simple, I knew. I knew it was too easy. "Alexander, I'm afraid."

"There's nothing to be afraid of Nova." I walk inside the mansion and hear the screams of the guests as they run past me, waving their arms in the air. My father's men were surrounding the ballroom, I notice Leo joining them too.

"Find them now!"

What?

We had to be quick because once this place empties, they would search every room.

I grab a bottle of vodka from the waiters serving table before heading up the stairs and into one of the extra bedrooms, knowing if I called the ambulance in Russia-Nova would die. It would be too late for her. 

I stand in front of my bedroom.

My old bedroom.

Before we moved to New York, my father never had the Mafia before, and he committed a serious crime causing us to move to another country. I push the door open and walk inside, I settle her down onto my old bed.

The gunshot never pierced near her heart, luckily, this was an easy fix for me to do.

I had all the supplies in the back of my old closet.

"I figured out my fear." She whispers, I take out the supplies and walk back to her.

"Heights don't count Nova," I settle down onto my knees, and take out my pocketknife to slice through her dress.

"My fear is losing you." She whispers.

I never had fears.

Until I met you.

I pull it down her body, revealing the wound covered in blood.

"Here, drink it will loosen the pain."

"I'm tryin-trying to stay sober on the job Alexander."

"Drink it." She rolls her eyes and takes a few gulps before squinting her eyes. "This is going to hurt, and I need you to be as silent as possible. Okay Nova." She nods her head, "I'm going to need you to bite down onto this." She opens her mouth as I tuck a piece of her clothes, she bites down onto it.

I open the Vodka bottle; she shakes her head and grabs onto my hands tightly as I pour it onto the wound. She screams into the fabric, her body raising as tears pour down her eyes. "I know. Nova, I need you to stop screaming." She shakes her head; I look back at the door; she continues to whimper in the background.

I turn back to Nova and wash my hand along with the tweezers with vodka before pressing my free hand against her mouth. She shakes, begging me to stop with her eyes as I push the tweezers in first. Looking for the bullet, Nova screams against the palm of my hands. I could not find it.

"Prover'te naverkhu!"

[Check upstairs!]

I hear one of the guards say, fuck.

My door was the last door of the hallway, I turn back to Nova and keep my ears out for his footsteps. I still could not find the bullet; Nova continues to cry into my hands from the excruciating pain and once my tweezer knocks onto something metal. I sigh in relief. I look down and detect the bullet, I slowly tense the tweezer around it before gently pulling it out of her stomach.