Chapter 7: Piper Bardot

Poison bursts into the bar, his chest heaving with effort.

"Piper, come with me."

I stand abruptly, my Sprite falling onto the floor with a sharp clank, my hips bruised as I smash them against the table. I reach into my bag to pull out my money to pay but Poison firmly tells me there's no time, that I can pay the bar later. 

I don't think I've ever seen him so panicked. I don't think I've seen anyone so panicked, besides maybe my mother when the doctor told her I had to have my breasts removed about replaced with fat from my stomach area. Anyway, that's another topic.

I quickly follow Poison out of the bar and onto his motorcycle.

"Hold on, okay? I don't have time to go slow."

"What happened?"

"Bullet. He did something fucking stupid, and he's asking for you. He won't let anyone take care of him until he sees you."

"What a dipshit."

"Hence why we need to go fast."

"I need to see him."

"He desperately needs to see you."

I wrap my arms tightly around his waist, trying not to think about how mad Dakota might be at me for doing that. She'll hopefully understand the situation. She seems pretty reasonable, but I've also seen her jealous and overprotective of Poison. 

That doesn't matter to me right now though. I'm more focused on getting to Bullet.

The world is a blur, sweat dripping from my forehead, my hands shaking. I cannot believe that he is being this much of an idiot. He's denying medical treatment for whatever is happening until he sees me. Have you ever heard of anything more stupid than that? I haven't. Why would he want to see me anyway? 

I mean, honestly, how stupid can one person be? What if I refused to see him because he's made me cry about twenty times since I've known him? Is that really how he wants to die if that is what's happening in the first place? I swear I'm going to kill him for being such an idiot if he doesn't die from whatever is going on.

We arrive in front of the warehouse, and I'm stunned that they didn't take him to an actual hospital like normal people. What the hell is happening?!

"Follow me."

About a minute later we arrive in front of a closed door in what seems to be the medical wing of the warehouse. I've only been in the area where Alpha's office is, so this is new to me.

"He's in there. So are Bear and Dr. Amin."

"What happened to him?"

"He was shot."

"And he's refusing treatment!? What the fuck!?"

Poison throws his hands in the air, his face a bright red color. It's clear to me that I'm not the only frustrated one.

I barge into the room, eyeing the situation. There lays Bullet, practically bleeding out on the bed while Bear and Dr. Amin try to convince him that he needs immediate medical treatment. They are trying to convince him that he only has a few more moments until he will bleed out and die. 

All he wanted was to talk to me. He was willing to risk his life for another conversation with me. What kind of idiot would do that?

"Bullet! What are you doing?!"

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have hurt you like that. I just wanted to tell you in case I didn't get the chance."

"Apologize to me when you aren't bleeding out next time. Will you please let the doctors do their thing now?"

"Yeah. See you later."

I fight the urge to slap the dying man across the face. Instead, I resort to just walking out of the room. I don't even know where to go from here.

Other recognizable Devil's Rose MC members suddenly come toward me, including Tank, Vegas, Carbon, Alpha, Reaper, Whiskey, Slasher, and Scout.

"What did he want?" Carbon asks desperately, begging to know what made one of his closest friends risk his life.

"He only wanted to apologize."

"Is he getting treatment now?"

"Yeah, Whiskey, he agreed to not die! Shit, sorry, I'm just emotional. I cannot believe that the only thing he wanted to do was apologize to me. He risked his life for that. How am I supposed to-why? What was the reason?"

The gentle hands of Vegas lay on my shoulders before he tugs me into his arms. 

I collapse into his warm embrace, letting the tears finally stream down my face. My body shakes in his arms as I grip his cut. He allows me to clutch onto him as I sob. He doesn't even release me go as Dr. Amin comes out to tell us that Bullet is going to be healed after a week or two. 

Eventually, he has to sit me down on a chair in front of the gray door where Bullet lays behind it. I'm in a daze as I'm handed some water and tea, a blanket is wrapped around me, and I'm handed a pillow so I can sleep. And while I'm uncomfortable, I'm not going to move.

***

I feel a soft caress on my shoulder, a deep voice gently waking me from my agonizing slumber. It's probably nothing compared to a bullet wound though.

There, another reason to call him Bullet.

I groan as I lift myself into a sitting position, rubbing my dry eyes, and getting myself used to the morning light. I yawn and blink the natural tears away from my eyes. I glance up to see Vegas standing next to me with a fresh glass of water in his large hands. 

He pushes it toward me and gets me to drink some before he even says anything about Bullet's condition. I know that Dr. Amin said he was going to be okay, but that could change at any point. I mean, Bullet has a bullet wound. That's not an easy healing process.

It didn't hit me last night. Not with that amount of adrenaline I was running on. He was shot. He was shot. He was shot! And he denied treatment to talk to me. If he would have died, he does die from not getting treatment quick enough, there are going to be so many angry people. 

That anger is most likely going to be directed at me, and I can't handle that from anyone. I can only handle it from him because I care about him, but if Alpha starts yelling at me, I might have a heart attack and then we're both going to be dead. And I don't want to die. He did not think this through.

"Is Bullet okay?"

"Bullet is fine. He's a better person now that he's almost died. I have never heard anyone apologize so much and so often."

"So he's not going to die."

"I don't think so. He's going to have to stay here for a few days while the initial healing process begins, but after that, he'll go home. He'll need someone to watch him for around five to seven days, but he'll be good."

Relief waves over my body like a wave. The breath that releases from my chest surprises me by the intensity, but Vegas only joins me with a sigh of his own.

"If I asked, do you think he would tell me what happened?"

"To show off, probably."

"Did he jump in front of someone else?"

"Pretty much."

"Idiot."

"Whiskey's grateful though."

Bullet saved his best friend. That's one way to die I guess.

"He's been asking for you."

I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, on the one hand, I'm grateful that he's thinking of me. However, he could have died because of me. What if I didn't make it in time? What if I refused to see him? What if Poison and I crashed before he could get treatment? 

What if he only thought he wanted to apologize to me and didn't so when I arrived it didn't matter and he died? What if I walk in there and he's not the man that apologized to me yesterday? What if he gets stressed out seeing me and dies anyway? What if I kill him?