Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Kai

I was more than impressed watching these women hunting. Though they didn't hunt like my people, they took full advantage of the two stars in the sky and managed to get everything cooked and covered before the fog rose. Once nightfall came, Neau made herself busy hunting down anything that tried to get close to the entrance of the gathering cave they were in.

By the time the biggest star was back in the sky, I had skinned Neau's kills and stored them around the cave. We stayed hidden away from the beings, just a little further down from their current cave. Sighing, I leaned back on the entrance of the cavern I was staying in. The two big stars had gone down again as little stars scattered across the sky. It wouldn't be long before the storms started. There wouldn't be fog, there'd be sandstorms. It'd be better if I warned those creatures before anything happened. I thought to myself as Neau launched herself at the tentacles rising from the sand. Looks like I'll be busy the entire night.

[~~~]

Storing the last bit of the meat I carved, I stood tall before looking around at my surroundings as I made eye contact with one of the creatures I've been following. Hopping back on Neau, I pulled the reins towards the direction of the gathering cave as the creature quickly ducked back into it. I could hear them talking from my distance as it almost sounded like rocks were falling. Quickly whipping the reins, Neau started approaching the cave quicker before the same noise echoed just outside of it. Had the gathering cave collapsed on them? I questioned myself while hopping off Neau before dropping down into the cavern. Looking around, I noticed that the cave had still been in the same shape as when I left it. Nobody but the beautiful creature that had piqued my interest was left. It was like the other three had simply disappeared. Hurrying over to her, I noticed how sweaty and haggard she was. Her breathing was coming out in pants as I gently took her in my arms.

"Can you hear me?" I questioned as her eyes remained closed. She must have passed out from the heat. Gently laying her down, I climbed back out of the cavern and grabbed a few bags off of Neau before hopping back down into it. Tossing all of the other bags to the side, I held the flimsy satchel in my hand before quickly searching through the large amounts of herbs I had collected.

Taking a few fire berries and grass flowers out, I quickly shifted through my other bags before finding the long pipe that I had created with my dad. Quickly plunging it into the rocky ground, I pulled another invention out before peeking out at Neau. She was patiently waiting next to the cavern. Quickly ducking back down, I sealed off the entrance with my new invention before getting to work.

Pulling off my clothes and my cape, I quickly folded them up under her head as she was still pouring sweat. I took off my mask before chewing the bitter grass flowers while crushing the berries with my hands as the pipe started pumping water through its system. Slowly undoing one of my other bags, I reached in and grabbed a tin pot to collect the water. As the water began to fill the pot, I shoved some more grass flowers into my mouth, crushing them between my teeth.

Gently raising my free hand towards the center of the cavern, the sunken hearth slowly began to form before stretching all the way to the top. Waving my hand past the hearth, a low fire began as I set the pot above the flames. Spitting out the blue bitter mush of the grass flowers, I scraped those off into the pot with some more fire berries before grabbing some more water with a separate pot. Once the separate pot filled with enough water, I carefully moved over to the other side of the cave where she laid. Sitting back on my knees, I looked down at her sweaty dark brown curls that were sticking to her dark brown skin. I just wanted to run my hands through her hair and hold her in my arms.

"Focus." I growled to myself while shaking my head. I should be more focused on saving her instead of wanting to hold her. I told myself while gently raising her up to remove her orange shirt. I was surprised to see a smaller white shirt underneath as I couldn't help but to stare at her chest. She was just beautiful beyond belief. Shaking my head, I went back to the task at hand while removing her shoes before removing her orange pants to reveal a white matching cloth over her loins. Ignoring everything in me, I quickly grabbed a cloth from the closest satchel before dipping it in the water and wringing it out. Slowly pressing the cloth against her face, I traced it along her face. Down her forehead, along the bridge of her small nose, and down to the plump lips that were pulled back in a grimace. Sighing, I quickly finished wiping down her arm before moving over to the other. I gently held her right arm while examining where she had been missing the rest from her elbow down. What had happened to her to cause this much pain?

After I finished wiping her down, I rolled out my sleeping mat before moving her onto it even though she was tiny compared to me. It was much softer than laying on the cavern's floor. Propping her head back up onto my clothes and cape, I gently pressed the back of her hand against her forehead as her temperature still seemed high. Turning back to the mixture in the pot, I stared down at the dying flames before pulling a cup away from one of the nearby satchels. Slowly tilting the pot, I carefully poured the light blue liquid into the cup before blowing on it. Turning back to the beautiful creature, I thought of ways to get her to drink this before I sighed.

Shuffling closer to her, I gently held her in my arms while drinking some of the concoction I made before kissing her, forcing the liquid into her mouth while gently rubbing her throat. At first, she gently fisted her hand against me before she started drinking it. Breaking from her, I drank some more of the concoction before repeating the same thing. The more I did it, the more it seemed like she melted into me. Once the cup was empty, I laid her back down while covering her with the small blanket my sister insisted on taking.
As I checked her temperature one last time, I was surprised when she leaned more into my touch. When I removed my hand, a frown crossed her face. She was still burning up but she was doing a little better.

"I'm sorry but excuse me." I mumbled while picking her up before laying on the mat. Once I was settled, I gently laid her on top of me as she sighed against my chest. Maybe my body temperature could help with her fever. I thought to myself as I tucked the blanket under her. She was soft to the touch and was so warm that I felt myself nodding off.