Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Lily

We quietly walked through the gate while passing more odd looking trees. They were beautiful but it wasn't everyday that you'd see a gold barked tree with light blue leaves. It was amazing how such plants could thrive down here with little to no light.

"We're here, Lily." Kai nudged me softly as I looked up at the beautifully hidden house. It was a two story red wooden house with a gray shingle roof. The dark rocky path led straight to a front porch that was overlooked by the gray shingle roof. Large windows covered the front half of the house though you couldn't see through them. It was a beautifully made house. "Do you like it?" He asked while looking down at me as I quickly nodded my head.

"Whoever built this house, they had some serious skills. This house looks great against the trees behind it!" I exclaimed happily while pointing towards the trees that reminded me of maple trees but taller and bigger. Looking back at Kai, I was confused to see his entire face a darker shade of red. "What's wrong?" I asked as he shyly scratched the back of his neck before looking down at me.

"When I came upon age, I spent many moons building this place and making it feel like home. Even the trees all around me are the ones I've brought back from one of the tribes we trade with. I built it as a one floor house then I got to thinking about my mate and whether she or he would like it so I made a second story as well for our younglings. There's even a huge open backyard in case we need more space or something." He explained as I looked a little taken aback by his statement. His mate?

"Your people also have a mating system as well?" I asked as he nodded. "How could you tell if somebody is your mate?" I inquired as anxiety began to well up in my stomach. Maybe, I was just here to fill his void like everybody else. That thought made me feel gloomy. What exactly is our relationship?

"I'm not really sure. It was something that I skimmed over when we had our lessons on the keepers of our planet. I was bad at listening to my instructor but I can go to the temple and see tomorrow. It can be one of our stops." He explained as I nodded in agreement even though my stomach turned uneasily. What would happen if he found his mate? I wouldn't be able to be near him without wanting to hold him or touch him. What would I do if his religion was against me being with him? "Lily?" He gently called while touching my face, pulling me from those thoughts. When did he get in front of me? "I was calling your name. Are you okay?" He inquired as worry formed as his face while his hand gently caressed my cheek, his cool touch much needed.

"I'm okay. I was just thinking about what you just said." I smiled as he frowned at me. "What?"

"You're doing it again. You're smiling at me but it's not reaching your eyes. What's troubling you so much that your smile doesn't even shine?" He asked while leaning closer to me as I sighed.

"What if we go to the temple tomorrow and find out that you have a mate somewhere out there who isn't me? Are you just going to keep me around until you find them?" I asked while staring up at him as his cat-like irises stared down at me. He gave me a half smile from beneath his mask before brushing his thumb over my cheek.

"I thought it was just me worrying about that. No matter what happens, I want you in my life." He sighed, never breaking eye contact with me. "If it makes you feel any better, nobody in my tribe or the Alorea tribe are my mates." He quietly laughed as I could feel the frown coming on.

"How do you know when you can't even remember how to tell?" I asked incredulously as he let go of my hand before holding my face in his hands.

"Because I've never felt this way before with anybody until you came along. When you were sick and hurt, I worried about you. When I found you by yourself, I was angry. When I'm with you, it's like the world makes sense now. I don't think that's normal, Lily. I've never ever felt this way. I touched myself to the thought of you!" He exclaimed before realization hit him as his face lit up a dark shade of red. "Forget that last part." He mumbled while pulling away as heat rose to my cheeks. Quickly grabbing his hand, I forced him to look at me.