Eight

Y/N's POV

I couldn't sleep. Not one bit.

I kept thinking about the message, it felt surreal, but I also wasn't as happy as I should have been.

Maybe she just told me to come in because she pities me after what happened last night. What if she wanted to embarrass me again? What if it was a prank or something like that?

Either way, I still couldn't sleep, even if I tried to answer all of my questions, I really couldn't.

I didn't even hear Morgan come home, so maybe they stayed at Jules'. At least they were happy about something.

Since I had to go in at eight, I got up from bed at six thirty to take a shower and do my usual morning routine.

When I had to pick out my outfit, I went to Morgan's side of the closet, as always, but I knew that I had to go shopping for some fancier clothes if I actually kept doing this job and it wasn't just a horrible setup.

I felt pretty comfortable wearing a pantsuit last time, so I decided I was going to wear one again, but this time in black.

Instead of letting my hair down, I put them up in a bun, and for makeup, I just applied some foundation and concealer, I wanted to keep it natural.

When I looked at my phone it was seven-thirty, which was the perfect time. For once in my life, I wasn't going to be late.

I took the bag with my notebook, my laptop, and my hydro flask filled with cold water and I was ready to go.

When I was outside, I saw Stewart waiting for me. He was the only one I told this to, not even my mom or Morgan and Jules know that Mrs. Maximoff called me in.

I just wanted to taste the waters first, you know?

"Hi Stew Stew." He rolled his eyes at me but finally realized that I wasn't going to stop anytime soon. He so kindly opened the door for me and I got in, and shortly after he did too.

"Good morning Y/N. Excited for your first day at work?" He questioned me as he started driving.

"I am, but I'm also kinda scared." I kept it brief, I didn't want to rant to Stewart. Not because I didn't trust him or anything, but it was seven in the morning. If anyone ever tried to rant to me this early, I would have punched them in their face.

"It's very normal to feel this way, Y/N. I was nervous too the first day I started working for the Stark family, and I just had to drive Tony and Morgan to get cheeseburgers, but look at us now. Just be yourself, I'm sure you'll fit in right away."

"Aw, look at you sounding like a supportive dad!"

"You ruined the moment, you're aware of that, right?"

"Yep, I am."

We both kept quiet for the rest of the ride and I held onto my mom's necklace just like I did last time I was headed to Oleg Resources.

"We're here, good luck, Y/N." Stewart opened the door for me and I thanked him before walking toward the entrance.

I took a big breath and walked in.

"Mrs. Y/N Y/L/N?" I heard someone call me, making me stop.

"Yes, that's me."

"Mrs. Maximoff wants you in her office."

"Okay, thank you very much. Have a good day."

I waited for the elevator and once it came I clicked on the last button on the tab, the twentieth floor.

Once I arrived, I walked through the same hallway I walked through one week ago and reached for the same door, and once I was there I knocked, making my presence known.

"Come in."

"Good morning, Mrs. Maximoff." I greeted her and she immediately looked up at me from the papers she had in front of her.

"Good morning, Y/N. How are you this morning?"

"I'm doing fine," I said, quoting my words from the night before. "What about you?"

"I am fine too." She started looking for something on her desk, and it went on for a couple of seconds until she actually found what she was looking for.

"For you." Mrs. Maximoff declared, handing me the bouquet of flowers in her hands.

"What are these for?" I didn't mean to sound rude, I genuinely was surprised.

"I'm not good with words."

Oh, really? Because I thought she was a little too good with them.

"I'm sorry about how yesterday made you feel, but before you think of something else, I'm not sorry about how I acted."

Ah, there it is. It was going a little too well.

"Why didn't you just call me when you called Jules? And are the flowers supposed to make me feel better? Because it really isn't working." I asked, kinda scared of the response I was going to get.

"You know why, Y/N. And no, I was just hoping to do a good gesture."

"I really don't. Unless Jules also had to interview you and come up with questions on the spot, I don't think that I do."

And again, she did that thing where she tilts her head, walks up to me, makes me take a step back, and gets me all flustered.

"You weren't exactly the nicest with me, but I wasn't the nicest with you too last night." By the look on her face, I could tell that she wanted to say something else, that there was more. "The new journal comes out tomorrow, Jules' article will be on the front page."

Two can play this game.

"That's amazing, Mrs. Maximoff. I'm very happy about that."

"Are you, though?" She challenged me with just her voice.

"Jules is my friend, Mrs. Maximoff, why wouldn't I be?"

That was the truth.

During these past few days Jules and I got closer, also thanks to whatever is going on with her and Morgan.

Do I wish my article was on the front page? Yes, everyone does. But I wasn't going to talk shit about my friend.

"You think you can stay until late tonight? I really need help with some paperwork." Why did she change the topic all of a sudden? And why would she want my help? Out of everyone, why mine?

"Sure, I'll be happy to help you."

"Come into my office at six, even if it means that you have to stop whatever you're doing, okay?"

"Got it."

It was going to be a long day.

a/n: what do you think is going to happen? does wanda really need help with paperwork?
hope you're enjoying <3