Chapter 70

Mason's POV

The first person close to my heart that I ever lost was my grandfather. He had been our support system from way before Mia and I were even born. The day he had passed, I felt nothing. As heartless as it sounds, he had a million and one problems yet he still pulled through to seventy two and kicked cancers ass before leaving. I was proud of him to say the least, proud that he had accomplished so much and continued to do so when it was physically impossible. It's when I realised even the smallest of accomplishments mean the most.

The second person close to my heart that I ever lost was my grandmother. She had always played the role of our mother when our mum was busy working her ass off to provide for us. She'd play our stupid games, pick us up from school, keep us for sleepovers, and had the biggest recipe book I had ever seen. She had promised to save that for my wife one day. That book was for Everly, I had planned on giving it to her on our wedding day when she's be my wife in the books. She's always going to be my wife, certificate or not.

Is it bad if I say I don't feel anything? Does that make me horrible? That I don't feel any pain, any anger, any sadness? Nothing. It's like I'm completely numb to every emotion there is and more.

"I've buckled the babies in their car seats." Athena said as she fixed my crooked black tie. Everly did that, every single morning before I left for work. She'd stand on our bed and fix it because apparently her neck hurts if she looks up for too long. I'd always mess it up on purpose and she's always complain that she'd have to get out of bed so I don't look silly when I go to work and get picked on.

"Thank you." I whispered as she nodded and patted my arm.

Despite being an entire month premature, there were zero complications minus the small hiccup during the birth. I stayed in the hospital with them all day and night including their uncles, till they were free to go two days ago.

Everything else went smoothly but the only problem was that they cried all the time. I'd pick them up and rock them, play lullabies, use the sound machine Everly was so sure would help them sleep, give them their bottle, make the temperature of our room perfect, change them, but nothing worked.

It wasn't till another sleepless night that I realised that they're just missing their mum. The woman that spent an entire eight months with them, carrying them in her, talking to them, and growing them. The woman they never got the chance to meet or be held by.

"Can you guys take them to the car for me?" I asked Aiden and Ben who were silently sat on the couch in the living room staring at their phone.

They didn't say anything, they simply nodded and took a car seat each before walking out of the door. Athena looked at me for a couple seconds before taking their baby bag and following them out the door.

Neither of them have spoken a word and it's been four days.

The first night I sat with Ben in the empty hospital hallway the entire night. We didn't speak, we didn't cry, we didn't move. It wasn't till I heard the twins crying at four in the morning that I stood up just for Ben to stand up with me.

He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me as tight as he could. The nurse who had given me Everly's letter had calmed the twins down and put them back to sleep but we didn't move. He cried in my shoulder till he grew so exhausted that I had to help him sit on one of the armchairs in the room.