one

I had been staying with Steve for a couple of months now, to stay out of the public eye. It had been lonely, to say the least. Steve did look out for me, even though I could tell that he wasn't the best at expressing his thoughts and emotions. He'd rather just have a drink with me by the pool, when his parents weren't home.

It's not that I am everything that I say he's not, the opposite is true actually. I like to act tough, but I think most people could see through that. A freak will always be just a freak. Only when we had a little too much to drink on one of those nights, our true emotions slipped out, one sip after the other.

Tonight it seemed to become one of those nights again.

Steve was telling me about some girl he went out on a date with. He often told those kinds of stories. Sometimes it seemed like he was overcompensating for something, but I didn't really question it.

He didn't know that I was gay, and I didn't feel the need to tell him. I knew Steve wasn't totally homophobic because of the way he treats Robin. The bond those two have is about as good as you could get it, so there would be no other reason for why she didn't want to date 'The King' Steve Harrington, other than that she didn't see him that way, and never would. Neither Steve or Robin had said the words, even though they oftentimes implied it. I think that's just how it goes here in Hawkins. If you don't say it, you don't have to face it. I guess I felt that way too. It's like everyone knows, but as long as you just don't speak it out, people will ignore it.