seven

I saw that Steve's eyes started to water. I stopped laughing quickly after I noticed it. I placed my hand on his shoulder, and tried to comfort him. Not that I could do that very well, but I tried. He covered his eyes with his hands, and I heard small sniffles. "Whatever it is that's on your mind, you can talk to me about it, okay?" I tried to reassure him. I hated to say it, but after everything we've been through, I cared for Steve. Way more than I'd like to admit. I liked him, and maybe sometimes I liked him more than I should.

"You know, Robin..." Steve started, as his tears had almost dried up. "I think I liked her in a way like that."he went on.

It was unclear to me what he was trying to say, but I let him speak without questioning him. "Or, she liked me like... Never mind." he scrunched up his face, and waved his hands like he wanted us both to forget whatever he just said. "Robin is my best friend, and I wouldn't want to trade that for anything in the world, to be honest." he spoke genuinely. It was cute, seeing him say such nice words about his friend. I remained silent though.

"You think I'm crazy, right?" he then asked again, with raised eyebrows looking directly at me. "No, no..." I chuckled. "I think I kind of know exactly what you mean."