nine

"Have you ever liked a boy?" he then asked, after about a minute of silence. I sighed, but not too loud. "I have." I simply replied.

"Did he like you back?" he then asked.

"No."

In fact, there were multiple people that I liked. None of them ever liked me back. The risk was just too high to even try to imply what I was feeling.

"That's sad." Steve drunkenly said. I laughed, for there couldn't be any other way to respond to that. "Well, you're the guy who can't get a girlfriend after going on a million dates." I clapped back at him. It seemed like it didn't do him anything, even though I felt like the words were way meaner than I intended after they left my mouth. "That's true." he just simply said. There was little emotion in his response.

"Have you ever liked a boy?" I jokingly asked him. A cheeky smile formed on my face, as I anticipated his answer.

"I don't know." he answered, still with no expression on his face. My smile disappeared, and without realizing it, my heartbeat fastened. "You don't know?" I asked him, not knowing what he meant. He probably didn't even know it himself, but now I was the one who was curious.

"After all those dates, those pointless dates." It seemed like Steve was starting to rant. Meanwhile he still held the scissors very close to my face. Now it has become concerning. I grabbed his hand, and pulled them away from my face. "It seems like I'm just trying to be someone. I don't even know who I am anymore." his drunken rant continued.