three

"What happened then?" Steve asked, seeming genuinely invested in this story. I couldn't place why he wanted to know this, for he had not cared that much before. It could be that our bond was tightening, but for some reason I felt like he was thinking about something different.

"I just didn't feel the same." I told Steve. "I broke her heart, and I think I kind of broke my own too. I really loved her, and wanted to stay friends, but she didn't. Or couldn't, really." I suddenly became a bit sad again.

This girl. Her name was Gemma. We were practically the same person, just different genders. I sometimes still think about her. I used to see her in school. Sometimes she'd smile at me, other times she'd completely ignore me. I never told her the real reason for why I broke up with her.

"It seems like you loved her." Steve said, with a dropped facial expression. "I did." I replied, softly. "I think she kind of was my Nancy." I laughed. "except she wasn't really." I followed up, not laughing anymore. Steve laughed along, but seemed confused by what I later said. Steve sat back down in his chair again, and opened yet another can. I reached out my hand to grab the can he just opened. I smirked, while seamlessly snatching the drink from his hand. He just laughed, and went to grab a new one from his side. It seemed like he was already getting more than tipsy.