six

He stopped for a moment, to look me in the eyes. "What did you exactly mean when you said she was your 'Nancy'?" he then suddenly asked. Was he now offended by what I said? It was hard to figure out. "I think I meant that..." I stuttered a bit. "That I loved that girl, genuinely, but we were never going to last." I said, meeting with his eyes. "But why?" Steve asked. "Because..." I sighed and looked away for a moment. Did I now really have to spell it out for him? "Because I could never love her in the way that she wanted to be loved. Sure I loved the idea of growing old with her, but I think not as her lover. Just as... a friend, a person." I explained. It seemed like it didn't really click in his head. "And I don't mean to say that that is how you feel about Nancy..."

"But maybe it is." He suddenly interrupted me. He put the scissors down, and now we were just left facing each other. He turned his head away, and I could see in his face that he was thinking about a lot. His facial expressions were relaxed, and his body was slumped a bit. I think it was because of the alcohol.

I think he had been secretly thinking this, maybe. This couldn't be the first time this had crossed his mind. "Eddie, I feel like I'm going crazy."he then suddenly confessed. He threw his hands up in the air, and fell back in his chair. He didn't place his chair back. Instead he was still close to me, almost like he felt safe being so close around me. Wouldn't ever think that that would be possible. "I know how that feels." I laughed. It was true. It always has been, but especially now.