28 | The Conner House

( Note ⏤ This chapter is longer than usual at 17k+ words, so get a snack, get comfy and prepare for a very long read.)

...

"This house no longer feels like home."

...

Change was hard

Change was hard.

That was something Sophia Conner had learnt through the twins, by watching the twos lives unfold, helping them through the constant changes they go through. She had seen how hard it was for them, and for her other friends too who also found themselves living lives of constant change, and after seeing what it does to them she had hoped she would never have to go through it herself.

But, apparently, that was too much to ask for.

"Moving?" Sophia repeats, staring blankly at her parents from across their dinner table.

"Yes." Her mother nods, placing her glass of wine down while sparing a glance at her husband, the man remaining unhelpful as he continues to chew on his meat. "We're moving."

"No."

Monica Connor furrows her brows, sending her daughter a confused look. "I'm sorry?"

"You're forgiven." Sophia smiles, her mother frowning at the use of sarcasm.

"Sophia." She warns, sighing as she drops her fork. "Look, i understand that this will be hard for you to process and accept, but-"

"There is no but about it." Sophia scoffs, following her mothers actions of dropping her utensils onto her untouched plate of food. "This is unbelievable! And there's no way in hell i will ever accept this!"

"Do not raise your voice at me, young lady." Monica demands, scolding her daughter. "I am your mother and you will show me respect!"

"Respect for what? For you selling my childhood home?!" Sophia exclaims, hands slamming down on the wood of the dining table. "For forcing me to move half way across the city? Or for forcing me into a private, preppy, nightmare school for rich assholes?!"

"Sophi-"

"Oh, or am i supposed to respect you for trying to tear me apart from my friends and my boyfriend?! Because that's what Wes is, you know? No matter how much you try to deny it."

"I never said anything about Weston." The woman points out, trying to maintain some balance between herself and her daughter, not wanting to make matters worse by bringing up her issues with Sophia's relationship again. "And this has nothing to do with him, or any of your other friends, for that matter."

"Wes isn't just a friend." Sophia rolls her eyes.

Monica nods, not able to hide her disdain for the boy her daughter was seeing. "Trust me, Sophia, I'm aware." She shakes her head. "The point is, moving is a necessity now that your father has gotten this new job, we must be closer to his place of work." She insists. "And it'll be more convenient for you and i as well."