31 | Rooftop Strangers

...

"So i close my eyes to old ends and open my heart to new beginnings."

...

"Ian? Xander?"

"Ian? Xander?"

It felt as though all the air was stolen from the earth when those two names were uttered, their lungs becoming empty the second they spilled from her lips. Was it the shock, the fear, or the anger? None of them could really tell. They just knew that suddenly it was hard to breath ⏤ hard for them to break out of their heads and explain or ask questions, they were all too busy being driven by their emotions.

"What the fuck are they doing here?" Willow demands, looking at Noel with what could only be described as a hurricane of emotions in her eyes ⏤ anger, sadness, hurt, confusion, regret.

"I- I, Willow, this... I know what you're thinking, but, uhm, it's not what it seems." Noel tries.

"Oh, please explain." She urges, crossing her arms and raising a brow when all he does is continue to stutter. "Come on, Noel, explain!"

"I was going to tell you tonight-"

"So you knew they were coming?" Wes asks, scoffing when Noel nods. "Of course you did, why wouldn't you."

"Yes, I- I did know, and i was going to tell you, i was trying to tell you tonight, but then-"

"But then you didn't." Willow finishes. "Why not?"

"Because i didn't want to ruin your night." He answers, looking to Wes. "I knew how important it was to you and Sophia ⏤ to all of you, and i knew if i told you then it would mess everything up."

"Maybe." Wes agrees. "But you still could've at least tried to warn us."

"That's the least you could've done." Willow repeats, shaking her head and turning to Phoenix, refusing to even acknowledge the other two. "Did you know?"

"No! No, of course not." He denies, looking to Noel. "Is this why you wanted to have this dinner? This was the important news?"

Noel nods. "Yes, that's why i arranged tonight."

"So, what? You were just gonna drop the bomb and then have those two walk in?" She assumes, looking at him in disbelief. "You were just gonna ambush us?"

"Not ambush." He sighs, rubbing at his forehead, feeling the headache coming on. How had such a good night turn into such a disaster? "I was going to tell you that they were coming, that they were meeting us, and if that wasn't something you felt ready for you would have the time to leave. If anything, it was a surprise."

"Surprise is just another word for ambush, it's just a nicer way of putting it." Wes says.

Willow nods. "Like wrapping up a bomb and putting it under the Christmas tree. But guess what? It's still a bomb. Even with all the pretty bows and wrapping paper."