Chapter IX

QUEEN ESTELLE BELSHAW

"I had a nice time today, thank you for taking me out, Malcolm," I speak politely as a guard let us through the palace doors. I was surprised to find that while we wandered through the national park and around the lake, I had actually enjoyed myself.

I notice father waiting in the foyer, dressed down ever since he stepped down from the throne. Furrowing my eyebrows, it catches me off guard as to why he was just standing there as if he were waiting.

"It was a pleasure, I hope to do it sometime again," Malcolm remarks, as I still face my father. "Perhaps as my wife?" he utters.

Those words catch me off guard as I slowly turn around, realising he is down on one knee, presenting a shimmering, breathtaking diamond ring in his hands. His porcelain white teeth smiled broadly at me with a hint of hope in his eyes.

Gasping, my hands reach for over my mouth. Perhaps I were expecting this, but maybe I wasn't, but now I knew why father was standing here, this was planned. He wanted to give me a chance to voluntarily marry him before it was forced.

"Will you do me the pleasure of being my wife?" he asks delicately.

With millions of thoughts flooding my head, one stuck out to me - I knew this was inevitable. Should I accept my defeat now, or put up a shield and fight?

I was tired of fighting.

"I will," I declare.

A sudden shatter of glass makes me jump. As I look behind me, I not only see father, but also Marguerite, Malcolms father and Eddie, who was scurrying trying to pick up the shattered pieces of glass from the floor. My heart sinks to my chest, although I'm not entirely sure why.

"I-I apologise... I'll clean this right up," he stammers, clearing his hair out of his face, which was growing red. Everybody stared at him like a hawk, silence filling the room until our attention averted back to Malcolm.

With a sickening feeling in my stomach, I smile faintly as Malcolm takes my hand, sliding the ring on that fit awfully perfectly on my finger. When father and Marguerite applause, I realise that Eddie had vanished. Although this was a seemingly unforgettable moment, my mind remained in the gutter and I couldn't shake the pit of guilt I felt within me.

"Excuse me," I murmur, dashing out the back door that I assume Eddie had sneaked through. Nobody even notices that I had left as they all converse amongst themselves.

As I make my way outside, the cold allows me to see my breath. To avoid being led to my room by the guards, I make every effort to dodge them. Eddie is seated on a bench off to the side near the roses, his arms resting on his knees.

"Eddie!" I hiss, grabbing the hem of my dress and sprinting in his direction. He glances up, whilst maintaining an expressionless demeanour.

"What is it, your majesty?" he asks politely, a smile on his face as our eyes meet.

I wasn't quite sure what to say. I didn't even know why I had followed him.

I sigh, raising my eyebrows. "Aren't you going to congratulate me on my engagement?" I ask rhetorically.

It was a mystery to me as to why I cared.

Watching him stand up, he purses his lips. "Congratulations," he smiles faintly, but his eyes told another story. He began to walk away. "It's not safe to be out here by yourself, your majesty. Why don't you head inside?" he spoke smartly.

"Why are you treating me in such a manner?" I snap as I began to feel enraged. Eddie was treating me like a stranger, like he didn't know my fears, my demons.

I watch him as he shrugs, letting out a humourless chuckle. "What more is there to say, your majesty? You are getting married, that is all," his lips formed into a line as his voice slightly quivered. I couldn't tell if he were offended, upset, or didn't care at all.

Had he been hurt?

The feeling sunk in as he voiced those words. I were to get married, bare children, and die. That's all that my life would be, nothing less, nothing more; and there was no backing out now.

"I would say that it is a significant deal-"

"You don't love him!" Eddie whimpers, tears forming in his eyes with his eyebrows furrowed. The sight of Eddie being physically upset and vulnerable caught me by surprise. Surprised that he had cared.

I scoff, shocked by his audacity. "I do love him,"

"Then look at me in the eyes, and tell me you love Malcolm," he challenged.

As much as I tried, I just couldn't. Who was I kidding? I did not love Malcolm, not even for a day, not even if the world was ending, I would want to be with Malcolm, and I had to accept that.

"I had no choice, Eddie..." I whisper, tears forming in my eyes.

"You had a choice, your majesty. You could have said no, but you said yes," he quivered, running his hands through his locks and looking up to the night sky. "You said yes... and he will undeniably ruin your life, your majesty," he iterated, scoffing.

"With all due respect, you don't know anything about Malcolm," I snarled, tears streaming down my rosy cheeks.

He sniffled his nose and glared at me with contempt.

"Perhaps you are right... but you do," he whispers, walking away.

Leaving me in the dark.