Chapter XXI

QUEEN ESTELLE BELSHAW

The last few weeks had been nothing but working on the upcoming orphanage. I was genuinely excited to work on something for the first time in a while. Perhaps I could be the change the future people of Toulouse will need.

Malcolm had been barely any help at all. If anything, he'd make suggestions that weren't asked for nor necessary. I spent my whole life being controlled by my father, I was in no way in hell going to let my husband control the way I do things either.

Sweeping the last few bits of dust, excitement bubbles within me, a wide smile appearing on my face with accomplishment. This would be a place where kids like me could learn, play, and grow up without feeling excruciating loneliness. They would be together.

Like one big happy family.

"It's looking spectacular in here," Eddie waltzes in, his arms against his chest. A small grin attaches to his face, although he looked exhausted. He, as well as Marguerite, had helped me generously with working on the orphanage. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be so sure it would be functional today.

With a simper on my lips, I feel my face turning a maroon shade of red. "I couldn't have done it without you, you know that, right?" I question quietly, my legs carrying me closer to him as his smile widens like a cheshire cat. "Soon enough, there will be hundreds of children roaming through these halls, having a life right here," I sigh, gazing around the dark wooden building, some cobwebs hiding in plain sight, but out of reach.

"I think that's amazing," Eddie breathes, clasping his hand on to mine, and I feel my breath hitch to the back of my throat. I wanted him so bad- he was like a drug. All I wanted to do in that moment was pull him close and stay like that for a lifetime.

But I couldn't.

The most Eddie and I could ever have were clandestine meetings and aching, long, stares. It killed me every time when I looked into his eyes, realising he wasn't mine. My heart yearned for him, getting lost in his orbs that was the pathway to his soul.

And the worst part is that I knew he felt the same way.

I knew I couldn't be stronger for longer, I just didn't have it in me. I wasn't strong enough to resist my deepest desires. Squeezing his hand, our lips remain inches apart, I could hear him breathe. "Meet me in the suite after dark," I whisper, staring down at his perfect pink lips. "Malcolm will be gone. I can't stand to be away from you any longer," I pant, my body moving closer toward his, but I pull away before it gets too much.

"Nor can I," he breathes.

Killing time in my bedroom suite, I stay in solitary as I watch the sun descend and the moon rise, rain starting to pour from the sky above. I had anticipated Eddie for quite some time, yet, he hadn't yet shown. I began to grow doubtful that he would come knocking on my door and washing my troubles away.

That was up until I heard knocking coming from elsewhere- my window. Perplexed, I notice Eddie struggling to hold himself up on the ledge of my bedroom window, a troubled smile on his lips, and rainwater seeped in his gold-like hair. A large grin attaches to my face as pace to open the window.

I take his hands and help him inside, his clothes dripping wet from the outside storm that had gone wild before I knew it. "Why didn't you come in through the palace?" I giggle lightly as he gains his footing. I watch as he takes a deep breath.

"The guards were outside later than usual this evening," he huffs.

"Here, let me get you a towel," I whisper, holding either sides of his shoulders before rushing into the bathroom suite, grabbing the closest towel I saw and handing it to him. My cheeks grow hot as I watch him dry himself. I felt as if I desired to be that towel, touching the most intimate parts of his skin, all the way down to his pores and the tiniest hairs on his neck.

With that thought, my breath hitches to the back of my throat whilst I daydream about how I wanted him terribly. He stopped drying himself.

"Is everything okay-"

Before I let him finish talking, my heart takes over my head and I smash my lips into his, my hands holding either sides of his cheeks. With his tongue quickly sliding into my mouth and our eyes both closed, we manoeuvre to my king-sized bed where I straddle his hips.

With my hands combing through his damp hair, Eddie kisses down my neck to my collarbone, his hands running up and down my back, driving me insane. We both struggle to breathe as I undo his belt, feeling him underneath my legs. Gazing into his breathtaking, compelling eyes, I felt completely hypnotised, as if I were being held hostage by this lover.

"Are you ready?" he whispers into my neck.

"Yes," I pant.

It wasn't a desire anymore. It was a need.

Without giving it a second thought, Eddie begins to slowly slide into my body. I grit my teeth and make an effort not to make any noise so I don't startle the guards. I hold onto either side of his shoulders firmly while my stomach does backflips and try to fight the minor discomfort.

I breathe into his neck whilst he moves inside of me, the slight pain turning into plain pleasure. He rolls me around so he was now on top of me, before sliding off his shirt, revealing his rather muscular, beauteous body.

The rain pitter-patters outside whilst we make love, just like the first time. He cradles me like a baby, pecking my neck and caressing my face. I try to resist making any sort of noise, but a whimper escapes my lips.

Eddie lays his palm over my mouth which makes the noise coming out of my mouth come to a halt. "We have to be quiet," he whispers, making me melt.

As time passes, our night together quickly makes an end, and Eddie rolls beside me, covering himself with the red cotton sheets. We remain out of breath as he stares at me endearingly. With my fingertips gracing his jawline, I pull him closer and give him one last goodnight kiss.