Chapter XXXVI

QUEEN ESTELLE BELSHAW

Every memory I had ever had of Eddie had been absolutely obliterated. Everything I thought I knew had become a completely different story, but, after hearing his side, I couldn't help but retain my anger. 

After all, I was still madly in love with him and carrying his child.

Sitting in silence, I stare at the wall blankly in front of me, Eddie beside me, sitting like a silent shadow. To put it simply, this year had been nothing but bizarre, and this was the final cherry on top. 

"So, what is your mother doing here?" I question with a monotone voice, continuing to stare at the wall, however, I can see Eddie looking at me through my peripheral vision. I listen to him sigh deeply, echoing through my hardwood floors. 

"She's here for your father's one year anniversary," he murmurs quietly. 

I didn't remember my father's one year anniversary. 

Feeling my heart sinking to my chest, I feel myself break. How could I forget something that held such great importance? Could this have been my karma, for being so selfish and forgetting the day my father was brutally murdered? 

Eddie and I had made our way back into the foyer, where the Queen stood stilly with Marguerite. I watched as her face lit up when she saw Eddie. 

"I thought you'd be gone for longer, Edgar," she speaks in her posh, English accent, her smile wrinkling her dull cheeks.

"It's Eddie now," he snaps, looking down to the floor. The queen stares through him like he's no more than a plain civilian as she purses her lips, nodding.

I knew he still couldn't forgive his mother for all of the infidelity she had been causing. But it was still his mother. Deep down, he could not avoid her, even if he wanted. 

Suddenly, I feel my stomach churning with intense pain as I grip my ball-shaped tummy with my fingertips. I scream bloody murder as I witness my water break right in front of my very eyes, feeling wetness streaming down my legs. 

I watch as Marguerite and Eddie's faces turn white. 

"The child!!" Marguerite scurries, beckoning the guards to help me to the infirmary. 

With everything happening all at once, I couldn't properly process what was about to happen. Within these harrowing nine months, my baby would be born into a regal family and I would have to raise a child without either of my parents and potentially, without my partner.

The guards help me onto the hospital bed as the nurses begin to roll me down swiftly to the infirmary, Eddie struggles to keep up with me, but his hand does not leave mine. 

"It's okay, Este, I'm here and I'm not leaving!" he pants, traces of sweat beginning to form on his forehead. My vision is hazy, my abdomen hurts with excruciating pain. With everything appearing dream-like, all I wanted to do was to shut my eyes and fall into a deep slumber, but I knew in the back of my mind there was no time for that.

"Come on, your majesty, we need you to stay awake!" One of the panicked nurses gawks and lightly taps my cheek, snapping me awake as sweat rolls down my face, contractions taking over my limp body. 

I'm transferred to my private infirmary whilst the nurses look after me. Marguerite, the Queen, and Eddie stand in the corner looking rather shell-shocked whilst I about to give life. 

I couldn't care in this moment how much Eddie had lied or betrayed me. All I knew now, is that I needed him here to get through this. I needed his hand to clench, I needed him to wipe away my tears from the pain. 

"Okay, your majesty, are we ready to push?" One of the more calmer nurses ask, tying her curly blonde hair up into a loose bun. 

I nod cautiously, watching Eddie head toward the door. With my heart falling, I knew I couldn't do this without him here.

"Wait!" I yelp frantically, holding out my hand whilst staring at Eddie's concerned face. "Please, stay, Edgar," I cry with tears forming in my eyes, a large contraction making me grip my stomach in pain, clenching my jaw and eyes shut. 

"It's okay, love. I'm here, okay? You're doing such a great job," Eddie whispers calmly while I grip his hand tightly. He holds one of my thighs up with his other hand as I get ready to deliver the birth of our baby. 

"I can't do this, Eddie! It hurts so much!" I yelp with sorrow in my voice as my eyes remain tightly shut. I felt like I was burning from head to toe as my legs remained wide open for everyone to see, my dignity vanished. 

"You can do it. Do it for our baby, Este," Eddie murmurs softly, gracing over my hand with his thumb. 

"She's starting to crown!" one of the midwives informs. "Look, your majesty. I'm going to need you to have to push really hard okay? Then the pain will be over," she hurries over to me, staring me down with her endearing blue eyes, holding the back of my sweaty hair. 

Pursing my lips, I nod. I knew it would be hard, but I also knew I could do this. I already loved this child with my whole being and nine months was far too long to wait for them. 

"Okay, one more big push!" the midwife eagerly says, her head in line with my womanhood.

 Suddenly, the pain comes to a halt. And thats when I hear it. The sweet sounds of a baby crying. With a growing light in the midwives' eyes, she holds up a beautiful baby that was screeching loudly, the umbilical cord still attached. 

"Congratulations, meet your little boy!" she says, handing me the tiny child covered in jaundice. With tears streaming down my face, I stare at the unnamed baby with all the love my heart could hold.

"Look, Eddie! It's our baby!" I exclaim tirelessly, looking up to his wonderstruck looking face as he wipes a tear from my eye. 

"It's our baby boy,"