Chapter XIII

QUEEN ESTELLE BELSHAW

"Where are we headed to, your majesty?" Eddie whispers delicately as we enter the wilderness, the only light source coming from my dim kerosine lamp. "Please, Eddie. Call me Estelle. I just broke you out of prison for chrissakes. Also, I have no idea," I stress, holding the lamp tightly in my hand.

The moon's luminescence casts a shadow amongst Eddie and me, the only other noise beside us trampling on branches was the faint wind from the trees in the distance. The silence was so violent, but I couldn't bare to articulate any words. Not with the possibility that Eddie could still be furious with me.

"Estelle... may I ask you something?" Eddie whispers briefly, his diamond orbs glistening. My heart races in my chest and I nod hesitantly, looking down at my shoes.

"What made you rescue me?" he questions. I wasn't quite sure how to answer such a question. I didn't know why I had rescued him. Perhaps I felt responsible. Guilty. But something told me deep within me that it wasn't the true motive. After a bit of hesitation, he opens his mouth again. "I-I am just curious. We did not leave on a good note, that's why I was wondering," he stutters, and the sides of my mouth form into a curl.

"I wish I could answer that, Eddie. But I cannot," I whisper, smiling lightly as we make eye contact, waltzing into the night. "If I were being honest, it worries me how much I'd be willing to do for you, how much trouble I'd get myself in," I talk nonsense, my face turning a deep shade of red.

I had felt ridiculous rambling on to Eddie about how far I would go to save him. I couldn't fathom why I would. After all, he was just my servant.

Before I let him utter a word, the sight of a cabin light in the distance catches my eye. I recognise where we had been, right on the outskirts of Toulouse. I'd sometimes find myself here with Marguerite when she'd take me to pick wild strawberries in the Summertime.

"Shelter!" I exclaim, pointing toward the dim-lit cabin in the misty distance.

"Now I suppose this isn't the usual palace, but I suppose we could rest here tonight?" I question as Eddie opens the wooden door, cobwebs floating onto his blonde locks. Since Winter was upon us, it had been a while since I had been down here.

"Eddie, would you be a dear and collect twigs for the fireplace?" I suggest, sweeping the dust and ash from the brick fireplace that hadn't been used in years. He nods, heading back outside as a gust of wind enters my way, sending chills down my spine.

As I unearth the place, I throw off a white rag that was covering a golden phonograph. My, was it beautiful. With its golden horn and dark wooden features, it was one of the best inventions of this century; being able to listen to music.

My face lights up in excitement. Although it was the dead of night, what was the harm of listening to a little music? To me, it had always brightened the mood, and it would be nice to listen to it on a recording rather than a private orchestra.

Eddie comes back inside with logs. Although I had been surprised, I did not question how he found them in such a short period of time. I observe him as he sits next to the fireplace, trying to emit a flame with twigs.

"May I?" I offer, holding out my hand.

He hands me the two twigs and I immediately light the fire. Eddie stares at me in disbelief as I have a smug look plastered on my lips. "What?" I question. "Queens aren't completely useless," I chuckle, throwing the twigs into the fireplace.

"Impressive," I overhear him whisper as I make my way back to the phonograph, turning it on. A beautiful piano melody sounds my ears, followed by soft violins.

"Moonlight Sonata," Eddie whispers, catching me off guard as I glance down at him. "Beethoven," he adds, his blue eyes smiling up at me as he stands up from his knees.

He holds out his hand and I take it. The fire emits a dim light where I can only make out the faint glimmer in Eddie's eyes and his silhouette. He pulls my waist closer to him with his other hand, my breath hitching to the back of my throat. With out faces merely inches apart, it was safe to say that this was the most romantic experience in my seventeen years of life.

I find myself wandering in his eyes. Getting lost in them. He spins me around slowly, bending me over as we giggle together, taking this somewhat serious situation and turning it lighthearted. It was nice not taking things seriously for a mere moment.

As he lifts me back up, our faces remain even closer to the point where I can feel his warm breath on my cheeks. With my heart performing somersaults in my chest, Eddie asks the one question I had desired to hear the most.

"Your majesty..?" he breathes. "May I kiss you?" he queries as he glances down to my lips.

I simper, kind of surprised by his audacity. "You're welcome to kiss me," I say breathlessly.

His lips grow closer to mine and before I knew it they connected. With Eddie's mouth exploring mine, my eyes dangle closed as I feel as if I had finally gotten what I had desired all of this time. My hands explore Eddie's thick blonde locks before we both pull away, Eddie's hands gripping my cheeks.

"Now that was a turn of events," Eddie chuckles, beaming.

The night carries on. We carry a mattress from one of the bedrooms near the fireplace. It was far too cold to sleep in one of the rooms tonight. I find a red velvet blanket and cover the bare mattress with it. Eddie was to sleep on the floor next to me, and I was to sleep on the mattress next to the fire.

I carefully take a seat on the firm mattress, near the open fire. I watch as Eddie lies just a few feet in front of me on the hardwood floor. I really did not want him to sleep so uncomfortably, but he insisted that he has slept on worse. I get comfortable, covering myself with the thin blanket, but I feel warmer than ever.

"Sleep well, Estelle," Eddie says, using his hand as a pillow as he rests, his eyes fluttering closed. His hair dangles on the floor, his cheeks rosy and red. I catch myself staring at him trying to fall asleep. I couldn't get my mind off of the kiss. Whether it meant something, whether it meant nothing. I desired for it to so badly mean something.

"Eddie?"

"Yes?"

"Please come up here. I do not wish to spend tonight alone," I speak vulnerably, looking up at the ceiling, but I can feel his eyes on me.

I feel him crawling up beside me before I turn over to be met with his eyes which were on mine. With love burning in his eyes and his lips agape, I don't hesitate to kiss him once again.

I didn't believe in sparks of love until this very moment. Breaking away from the kiss, he stares, but then reaches in for another kiss. It was like somehow now, we couldn't keep our hands off of each other.

My hands reach for his neck and he inches on top of me, his hair dangling in front of his ears. With both of us breathing heavily, we could produce enough heat to start a fire ourselves. With his body pressed up against me, I couldn't help but want more.

"Eddie..." I whisper, trying to catch my breath.

"Yes?" he breathes into my ear, kissing my neck before he looks back up into my eyes. His eyes were unlike any other. Sparkling, captivating, with every deep blue shade of the ocean.

"I want you," I say breathlessly as he smiles lightly, kissing my lips gently.

"You can have me, your majesty," he murmurs.

I stroke his back while his torso leans against my thighs on either side. His manhood enters me, his head resting on the nape of my neck. With gasps escaping my lips, a strong, unfamiliar sensation takes over me, although I welcome it. I welcome it with open arms.

And legs.

My hands stroke Eddie's blonde locks, gripping tightly as he remains on top of me, moving inside of me. The fire emits beside us, keeping us warmer than we could possibly imagine. It was like I was waiting for this moment since I had met Eddie.

I had finally blossomed into a woman.