Chapter XXVI

QUEEN ESTELLE BELSHAW

Taking an afternoon stroll around the gardens had become a regular task for me nowadays. The nurse, Vivianne, had said the fresh air would be good for the baby. As I stroll through the back gardens alone, I watch the sun slowly set over the tower of the castle, down to the horizon. I gaze down at the roses blooming little by little, reminding me of mother and making me smile in the cold breeze.

The flowers weren't the only things to be blooming this Spring, my baby too had been blossoming inside of me. I began to slowly forgive myself for potentially having Eddie's child. I would pray to the gods above and beg them for forgiveness. I wasn't one to pray so much, but I found myself heading more and more to church on Sundays. It brought me peace, and finally...

I accepted my flaws, but would others?

With a guard opening the palace door for me, I politely thank him. What catches me off guard is when a voice behind me calls. "So, you have been enjoying these afternoon strolls recently, yes?" Malcolm's voice echoes through the tiled halls, making me shiver as I turn around.

I collect myself, a smile returning to my lips. "I find them quite calming," I state soothingly, turning my back against him and continuing to walk.

"You have to abort that baby," he calls as my eyes practically bulge out of my head.

With anger stewing within me, I knew I had to keep my cool, not for the sake of me, but for the sake of the baby.

"What did you say?" I furrow my eyebrows in pure disbelief as I watch him usher closer with his arms crossed against his chest. With my heart beating ever so fast in my chest, I worry for the baby's life. I didn't know what Malcolm was capable of doing.

Why would he want to abort his child?

"I know that child is not mine, Estelle, don't turn a blind eye. So who's is it?" he growls through gritted teeth, pointing his finger at me with disgust in his eyes.

With my heart dropping down to my stomach, it hits me at once. He must have heard the conversation between Marguerite and me. The good thing was he didn't know it was Eddie's.

I decide to act foolish in pure fear and disbelief. "What? That's absurd! You must have heard wrong, Malcolm. I haven't slept with any other man besides you," I lie through my teeth, crossing my arms against my breasts.

He inches closer to me, his face towering over mine as my heart beats rapidly, I feel I could go into cardiac arrest. "I heard you loud and clear, Estelle. It will be born a bastard. If you don't get rid of it, I will," he whispers into my ear as tears circle around my eyes.

I would never admit it, but I was petrified.

"Is that a threat?" I whisper through gritted teeth, a tear slipping down my cheek. "You know I won't let you hurt this baby," I continue, sniffling as I caress my stomach.

I watch him sinisterly smirk, rage buried deep inside his ghastly eyes. "Just watch your back, Estelle. It didn't take much for them to kill your father," he intimidates whilst I get a flashback of my father dying right in front of me.

What did he mean, them?

As I wake up and start screaming at the top of my lungs, panic washes over me. I was unable to breathe. I got warm. With a terrified expression on their faces, Marguerite, Eddie, and two guards rush to my assistance. I was scared; confused.

I look over to my side to see the window wide open, letting in the cool air.

"Your majesty, what is it?" one of the guards ask panicked, and I can feel myself shaking as Marguerite comes to my support.

I struggle to let out the words, and that's when I notice a pillow that was right beside me, indents on it. With my shaking hand pointing to the pillow, I watch as their faces drop, but most of all, Eddie's. Somebody had broken in. Somebody tried to smother me to death.

Suddenly, Malcolm comes barging in with a flushed face. "What's going on in here?" he asks, panting. "Somebody tried to smother the Queen. Do you happen to know anything about that?" Eddie asks with a raised eyebrow as everybody stares at him with suspicion.

"N-no, I've just returned from a run,"

"At midnight?" Eddie interjects, his eyebrows furrowed. "That is the time, isn't it John?" he asks one of the guards as he nods in confirmation. "You know you're not allowed to stay out past midnight, right Malcolm?" Eddie sneers as I still try to catch my breath from the comfort of my bed.

"I know the rules," Malcolm snaps.

"Then follow them-" Eddie claps back.

"Estelle must be placed under twenty-four hour supervision, Eddie, you'll be in charge of taking care of her, yes?" Marguerites maternal side comes out as she panics around the room. Eddie stares at her dumbfounded. "An alert must go out that there is a potential killer on the loose, do you hear me?" she urges to the guards with worry laced in her voice.

"Marguerite-"

"No Este. I cannot fathom the thought of something horrible happening to you- the baby..." she whispers, tears in her eyes. "..not after your father," she continues, her voice breaking ever so slightly.

At the end of the day, I would do anything to protect this child.

So I suppose Eddie would be with me twenty four seven from now on.