05

" welcome home "

Y/N followed Kuroo as he was getting her familiarized with his house. He had already moved her luggage, which was just one suitcase and a duffle bag.

His house was a blend of traditional style with modernity. The floor was covered with tatami mats, and there were sliding doors. The modular kitchen was of pastel shade, which felt warm to the eyes. Out of all places, her most favourite ones were the spacious living room, which was probably for the team gathering and the windy patio. She instantly fell in love with them when Kuroo brought her there.

He showed her room, which was across his. It was painted pastel blue. There was minimal furniture, including the bed, a closet, and a table near her bed for her work. It was comparatively smaller than Kuroo's room, but she loved it nonetheless.

Kuroo stopped in front of her and stared at her questioningly. He has been doing all the talking and could easily tell that something was bugging her. So, he decided to ask her.

"What happened, Y/N? You've been too quiet for the whole time. Is everything alright?"

Indeed, something was bugging her, but she didn't realise that it was obvious. With a sigh, she stepped closer to him. Flashing him a smile, she spoke in a quiet voice.

"Kuroo... I am really thankful, but why... why are you helping me this much? I... I get it that we are friends, but still? Why?"

Y/N felt like she was troubling him with everything. He didn't need to be worried for her. She understands that she was his best friend, but still, she couldn't help but feel bothered.

"What makes you think that?"

"I don't know. I just feel like it."

As if he sensed her worry, he smiled at her and ruffled her hair. His gaze averted to the clouds floating in the sky. He heaved a sigh and turned to her once again.

"Remember when I had to go back home during college? During the mid session?"

Y/N silently nodded, and he continued.

"Ruko-nee... Something happened with her."

She watched as Kuroo hesitated for a while but continued.

"Well, you see, she went through the same as you did. She never cried in front of us, but I can still remember her red eyes as if it were yesterday. She went through many troubles. Seeing her struggle through life, I never wanted anyone else to suffer like that. When I met you that day and saw the same sad smile on your face. You told me all about it. So, I decided then and there to be there with you."

Not even once could she take her eyes off his solemn expression. His voice was softest she had ever heard of him as if every word he spoke was so brittle that they would shatter if stressed too much.

"Heck, even if something like this happened with a stranger... which I hope never does, I would have helped them. Well, not offer them to move in with me, but in your case, it's different."

He warmly smiled at her and continued.

"Not even once did you trouble me or were a burden for me. Why would you be in the first place? I know what kind of a person you are. There's a reason why God gives us best friends. You can ask my help for countless number of times and I will be there for you.... And you see, I am helping you not only as your best friend but as a person."

Y/N didn't realise that she was crying until Kuroo wiped her tear stained face gently.

Kuroo had been called as the scheming captain or a provocative person. That's how Nekoma remained as one of the powerhouses under his captaincy. But deep down in his heart, he is a kind-hearted and benevolent person. That gentle side of his personality would surface at times during their practice sessions.

She couldn't count how many times he has helped Lev with his blocking or how many times he has dragged Kenma for setting. She remembers their training camp, where he helped Tsukishima with his blocking techniques. All that just for the anticipated battle at the garbage dump, which was a dream for their coaches.

She could tell without any doubt that he was raised well by his sister.

Kuroo's eyes widened when Y/N tackled him with a hug. Her teary face was buried in his chest, and her arms were wrapped around his waist. His lips parted in surprise. However, soon, they turned into a soft smile. He hugged her back. His arms were wrapped around her shoulders, and chin rested on her head.

And she swore she never felt more warm and grateful than that moment.

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Tetsurou."

Kuroo parked his car and stepped out only to notice the well-lit house. A subtle aroma of curry lingered in the air. He smiled and took his belongings out of the car. His coat was folded in his arm while his sleeves were folded, giving away his exhaustion.

"I am home."

He proceeded to remove his shoes and place the car keys on the key holder. As he stepped forward, tufts of black peeked out of the kitchen. Her eyes lit up seeing him, and a wide smile appeared on her face.

"Welcome home, Kuroo!"

And just with that one sentence, warmth bubbled inside his heart. Every evening, he would come home and never hear a reply. He was accustomed to it. However, this time, he couldn't deny the feeling that surfaced in his heart as he saw her happy face welcoming him.

This time, his house felt like a home.

Y/N asked him to change clothes and freshen up while she was setting the table. Kuroo walked to the table only to have his mouth watered at the sight of appetizing dishes. However, instead of sitting, he went straight to the kitchen to help her with the remaining work.

"I told you not to do this much. I could've cooked after returning."

Y/N's laugh echoed in the house. They took their seats, and he didn't wait for a second to dig in. Oh, how much has he missed her cooking. She would cook for the team back in high school.

"So, how was your day?"

She asked, and their dinner went on as they discussed their day. It was refreshing for both of them. Occasionally, Kuroo would reminicise their high school days, which would make her nostalgic.

Y/N felt at rest and contended. She felt as if she left all her negativity back at her previous place, and this place was full of warmth and comfort. Being with her best friend was a cherry on top.