prelude

All stories begin with 'Once upon a time'. But not mine. 

My name is Kim Kwan

My whole story starts with the day I was born. I don't remember much about my younger years but it comes to me in dreams. 

The only thing left behind is the scars littered around my body. One noticeable scar is the one on my cheek.

///

It is dark in the deep forest. The walk becomes longer when you're limping. I was about to give my life away in this creepy forest when I saw light at the end of the path. 

I felt relief go through me that I limped faster.  I saw two men walking in front of me. They were walking toward me but I dont think they saw me.

As I limped slower, I heard a gasp from one of the men. 

My leg gave out under me. 

"Lady, are you okay?" 

"Dan-i, she needs to see Physician Lee ." 

"Miss what is your name?"

I was quiet. My breathing quickened when I saw the two men getting closer. 

My head started to go to the side. 

When one of the men put their hand in front of me, I flinched away from his hand. 

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I started tearing up. 

The same man spoke up again, "I'm going to pick you up so that we can take you to Physician Lee."

I nodded my head with more tears rolling down my face.

"Dan-i go ahead and tell Physician Lee to prepare a bed."

The man named Dan-i ran off back to where they had come from. 

The man in front of me grabbed me carefully. His arms are under my legs and the other is at my back. My head was at the man's chest. 

I tensed up at the touch. 

"My name is Yeongshin. You can trust me." 

He started to run. My eyes began to close.

"Don't close your eyes."

Yeongshin ran faster.

I started to whimper from the pain I felt. 

"It's okay. We are almost there."

Things started to get darker with my eyes beginning to close. 

I felt Yeongshin tense up a bit. 

I closed my eyes and I was out. 

///

It has been days or maybe weeks since I've seen light. This wicked man won't  let me go. 

My body is bruised and battered. 

But the mental pain was the worst.

My eyes are blind folded and hands are bound to the wooden pole on the wall. 

I yanked the binds. I hissed at the pain I felt. 

I heard a slight crack next to my head.

I knew if I yanked a few more times then I'm out. I yanked again and again. 

I yanked back once more and I fell backwards. I hit my head hard on the ground. 

I got up quickly and then started taking my blindfold with my hands still bound. The wooden cage I was in had the door opened. 

I limped out and saw a knife on a wooden table.

I angled the knife to cut my binds. After a few moments, my hands were free. I kept the knife in my hands.

I limped towards the door in front of me. As I was standing in front of the door when I got knocked down. I hit the back of my head again. 

"Well well well. Look who thinks they can leave." The wicked man said.

I tried to crawl backwards but the man grabbed my leg and pulled me towards him. I whimpered in pain and quickly grabbed the knife that dropped off my hands. 

My breathing quickened when the man got on top of me. I swiped the knife at the man which struck his face. His blood hit my face . I continued to stab his face.

The man fell over and his blood pooled out of his head .

///

I screamed and tried to search around but my arms were being held down. I kicked my legs trying to get away.

"Stop! Stop!"

I calmed down a bit but I was heavily breathing. The hands let go of my arms.

I looked around the room to see Yeongshin, a lady, and an older man. 

The older man spoke up, "I'm Physician Lee. You're going to be alright. You had a lot of cuts which left scars but you also suffered blood loss. Yeongshin ran here with you in his arms. You are in Jiyulheon."

I stared at the man. The lady stepped forward and said, "I'm Seobi. You can stay here as long as you like." The lady kindly smiled at me. 

I looked at Yeongshin. Yeongshin shifted a bit to the side.

"Miss, what is your name?" Physician Lee said. 

I motioned to write. 

"Seobi, go get  paper and ink." Seobi left quickly.

"Are you mute?" questioned Yeongshin.

I shook my head no. 

"Oh.. she's selectively mute. That usually happens when something traumatic happens to them. It's their coping mechanism." 

Yeongshin looked at me sadly. 

Seobi came back into the room and handed the paper and ink to me. 

"What's your name?" Yeongshin asked.

I wrote down 'Kim Kwan'