plague

Everything happens for a reason. 

It has been three months of living in Jiyulheon. Within three months, Physician Lee taught me sign language. While I was learning sign language Seobi learned it for me and Yeongshin learned a bit, just enough to make me comfortable. 

It has been a few days since Dan-i and Physician Lee left. Right now I'm in the woods. Sometimes being around people makes me nervous so Physician Lee tells me to go into the woods to calm down. 

In front of me right near the road path is a bundle of flowers in the grass. I start picking a few for Dan-i. He loves flowers. 

I heard the road rumble a bit. I ran towards the road to see Physican Lee in a cart holding the reigns for the horse. In the back of the cart is a red box. 

Physician Lee stopped the horse when he saw me on the path. He gets off the seat on the cart.

"Kwan, what are you doing out here?"

I signed back, 'space'. 

"Just make sure you're not out for too long." He said back. 

As he was starting to walk back to the cart I pulled his sleeve. 

'Whats in the box?' I signed.

He paused and looked at me sadly. "We are going to prepare a funeral for Dan-i."

I dropped the flowers in my hand and covered my mouth. The tears started to fall out my eyes. Physician Lee pulled me into a hug. 

I pulled away to dry my eyes. 

' I'm going to stay out here.' I signed to him. 

"Okay, just be careful. It's going to be dark soon."

I nodded my head.

I turned my head and walked away heading deeper into the woods. 

Without me realising the day turned to night. When I saw the moon up in the air, I ran back to my temporary home. 

When I reached the walls of Jiyulheon, I stopped to catch my breath. As I was about to open the gate, I realised it was too quiet. I covered my nose when I started to smell something rotten. My heart rate quickened to hear monstrous growl. 

Through the cracks of the wood on the gate, I could see blood splatter on the ground.

As I try to look more, a dead white eye looks me in the eye. I gasp when the gate starts to move a bit forward a bit. The scrapping of nails made me run back into the woods. 

I couldn't see where I was running so I tripped over the root and hit my head hard on the ground. 

I blacked out. 

///

"She needs to be taught a lesson! She shouldn't have gone into my quarters without my permission."

With my head bowed I said, "I'm sorry your majesty I didn't know."

"Now she's speaking out of turn. She needs to be taught a lesson."

The tears were now visible. 

My arm was roughly grabbed.

Next thing I know, my hands are being tied to a wooden post. 

"She gets 20 slashes."

When the first slash hit my back I screamed. 

As the hits continued, the pain grew more and more. I felt like I was going to faint. The tears grew more and my screams rang through the grounds. 

I turn my head to the side and make eye contact with a boy a few years older than me. An older male is standing next to him. The older male said something to the boy which made them both walk away. 

My eyes closed from the blood loss. I faded in and out to hear someone say, "Take this garbage out."

The next time I open my eyes is to someone throwing me into the dirt ground of the woods. I hit the root of the tree and knocked back out.

///

I painfully got off the ground. I don't even know how long I've been knocked out for. 

I limped through the woods. I don't even know where I'm at. 

The day turned to night quickly. I leaned against the tree.

The pain in my head grew. 

I sat on the ground with my head on the tree. 

It was then that I knocked out again. 

Next Day

A hand grabbed my arm and forced me up. I gasped from the pain. 

"Shut up!" A males voice said. 

The male covers my mouth and I whimper. 

I hear more male voices talking. 

I whimper a bit more. 

"Shut up you dumb girl!" whispered the male. He gripped me more. 

"Your highness did you hear that?" A male said. 

"Yes. That is very odd." Another male said. 

I whimpered louder for the men to hear me. 

The men turned around the corner to see a male holding me tightly. 

"Let her go!" The younger male said. 

"Get away from us." Angrily said the man holding me. 

I whimper more when he holds me tighter. 

"Just let her go sir." The older male said. 

"No!" The male said forcefully. 

I thought of a quick plan. 

I bit the man's hand hard that skin broke. Blood seeped to the corner of my mouth and out of the man's hand. The male screamed from pain. He quickly let me go and smacked me right across the face.

I fell on the dirt ground. The man ran and the younger male went to me while the older male went to run after the man. 

But the younger male loudly said, "Don't leave Muyeong."

The older male known as Muyeong stopped and said, "But your highness-"

"No. This girl needs help." The younger male said. 

I looked at both the men. I tried getting up but almost fell down. The younger male caught me and moved me slowly to a tree stump. 

I flinch when Muyeong tries to put a cloth on my head.  The younger male takes the cloth from Muyeong and says, "We are not going to hurt you. Just let me clean your wound."

I let them clean my wounds.

"My name is Lee Chang." The younger male said. 

"Mine is Muyeong. What is your name?"

I signed, 'Kim Kwan'.

"What is she saying?" Muyeong said. 

"I don't know." Chang said. 

I took Changs hand and wrote with my finger, 'Kim Kwan'.

"She says her name is Kim something. I couldn't catch the other part."

"Ms.Kim are you from Jiyulheon?"

I nodded my head. 

"Okay. Let's bring you home." said Chang. He gave me a small smile. 

"Let us go then." Muyeong said. He grabbed my arm softly and pulled me up carefully. 

I completely forgot about the monsters I'd seen in my temporary home.