mayhem

I am on the horse with Chang. Holding his sides which I am trying to not blush for. Muyeong, his guard, is riding in front of us. 

He keeps talking about his family and beef. 

Muyeong turns his head smiling and says, "I would appreciate some beef, too your highness."

Chang stops the horse from moving and says, "How strange."

'What does he mean?' I think.

"Pardon?" Muyeong questions. 

Muyeong continues, "How can you say you find this strange I just want to see my pregnant wife is that so unusual?"

Chang answers back, "That's not what I speak of... It's too quiet. I do not even hear the sound of insects."

They both went quiet. The sound of the river next to us was heard. 

I turn my head around to look around me. My heart starts beating faster with what I've seen. I grip Chang's sides. My breathing went faster. 

Muyeong lifts hisself up on the horse to see up ahead and says, "Your highness there is a house up ahead."

Chang moves his horse forward to get a better view of what Muyeong sees. They're both not realising that I'm panicking. 

They raced their horses to the front of Jiyulheon. 

The front of the place had sharp bamboo sticks on the roof, pointed towards the inside of Jiyulheon. There was a table and a hay bale holding the door of Jiyulheon closed. 

There was blood on the bamboo sticks. 

"I think we found the place. But it looks odd for a clinic." Muyeong says.

"What is the blackish red thing on the stakes? Is that blood?" Chang questions. 

I started getting flashes of that night. 

"Wait here, Your Royal Highness." Muyeong gets off of his horse and walks towards the walls. 

I slid off the horse and staggered towards the building. I slide to my legs and try to calm my breathing. 

Muyeong moves the table and the hay bales off the door but sees that more wood is connected to the door keeping it locked. Muyeong takes the wood off and walks towards Chang. 

"Your Royal Highness, it is locked from the inside. I shall climb over the wall."

Chang looks at Muyeong climbing over the wall. He slides off his horse and goes towards me. Chang holds my back and says quietly, "Breathe Kwan. 1,2,3. In and out. You got this."

I did exactly what he said and was finally able to breath normally. 

Chang lets go of my back and looks at Muyeong. I see Muyeong disappear over the wall. 

I pull Chang's sleeve to which he looks at me. I quickly signed to him, 'We need to leave your highness.' 

"What did you say?" Chang said. 

Just as he said that, Muyeong opened the doors to the gates. 

Through the doors you can see blood splatters everywhere. As Chang starts walking towards the door, I race to him and hold his sleeve for dear life. 

When we reach the inside of Jiyulheon, I pause and let go of Chang's sleeve. I take in the view in front of me. Everything that I once knew didn't even look the same. It looked like a war passed through here. Up close the bamboo spikes were drenched in blood. I remembered the face that I saw through the gate.