Crackish Oneshot

Another Way of Communicating

Alt Title:
"MomoJirou Drive Iida Borderline Insane" or "The Author Likes Torturing Iida"

Note: The research done to write this rarely had any proper sources.

-

There was always this constant tapping throughout class Iida would notice. Whether it be the tap of a pen hitting the desk, or the tap of someone's fingers drumming against the table. Yet, there was this specific type of tapping that was different from the rest.

The first time around he noticed there was a tap followed by a pause which would only continue in a certain sequence. He wasn't really paying attention to the order of the taps to make out what it was. Slowly, as the taps faded out and a more distant tapping sequence followed, it struck him that it was Morse code.

He looked around the class to see if the sound would continue, but it didn't come that time around. Though he wasn't one to particularly look to find out things, it was an involuntary action that sprung about because of natural human reflexes.

When he thought about who amongst his classmates would know Morse code, the first people to come to mind were the smartest ones amongst the bunch. Momo, though a likely candidate, prided herself on paying attention and taking notes for every class. It was hard to imagine her pausing her work to send Morse code messages to someone in the class. Midoriya was another likely choice, as Morse code was something he'd seem interested in. Though had it been him, Iida could only imagine Bakugou would've exploded at him by now. Bakugou and Todoroki were also a possibility, though Iida doubted any of them would want to send Morse code messages to anyone in the class or in general.

The second time around, he hadn't noticed it was happening, as he was focusing on taking notes for class. Only did he notice it when someone dropped their pencil, the slight thud as it hit the wood before falling onto the ground. Then there were a few taps that followed immediately after from another direction. He glanced behind him and it was easy to spot Momo tapping her pointer finger against her desk. In what was a single tap followed by different taps, varying in frequency and speed. He noted how easy it was to overlook as compared to the usual background noise coming from the class. The sound of tapping was practically non-existent unless you specifically focused on it.

The Morse code sequence that time was fast. He hadn't even fully translated the sequence to words, as his knowledge was rusty. Though that could also mean Momo had a lot more practice with Morse code than he did.

He pondered bringing it up to her at some point but saw no problem with it as it distracted no one amongst the class. Had someone complained or mentioned the constant tapping, he trusted Momo as the vice class rep would make wise choices. If Momo wanted to send messages to someone through Morse code in class, that was her business alone.

Messages would be short every time. Some class periods were filled with multiple messages, whilst others wouldn't even have a single tap. It always tended to vary. He didn't try to decipher them. Sometimes his brain would just process the taps unknowingly and he'd notice what was being deciphered.

Sometimes he'd notice a single word or letter, to the point the longest strings of words he was able to decipher was: "no cheating in class." Other times he just completely ignored a sequence of taps, as that was Momo's business and the individual she was exchanging secret messages with. Even if they were exchanging said messages in a class of twenty students.

The third time around, the tapping was getting on his nerves. It was different that time around. It wasn't the hit of a fingernail against the desk. Rather, it sounded almost metal, a much more dense thing compared to a fingernail or pen. His eyes tracked where the sound was coming from and it made sense. It also seemed like he wasn’t the only one bothered by the tapping.