Angst Oneshot

Giving Up and Loving You Fall Under the Same Line
-

Things started to change, whether it was the kisses that turned ephemeral or the simple smile that changed it all. She knew her heart wasn't in it. The rush that would send vibrations from her fingertips to the beating of her heart that'd fizzle out. She knew that the close proximity that'd commonly make her blush turned into her stiffening the moment she looked into her eyes.

Hugs were difficult outside of it being at an inopportune moment. Her hands would drop sooner. Her arms that'd wrap around her body, pulling her close, would hang limply around her waist.

Momo wasn't sure when their hugs started to seem nonsensical, as it was a sheer difference from what would usually make her heart rush. She could remember the feeling like it was yesterday. The feeling of what their hugs once were. The shorter of the two would squeeze her tightly burying her face into the crook of Momo's neck. Her breath was warm as she'd unknowingly breathe against her before her breaths turned into nervous giggles. She'd lean closer, enjoying their close proximity and Momo realized that she could get used to this.

Though, over time, it started to shift. Whether it was a hug that'd last for a shorter time or the way she didn't squeeze her closer anymore. She wouldn't lean towards the touch and would be the first to let go.

"Kyouka, are you okay?" Momo would ask the moment she started to stiffen into their hugs.

She'd lie to the point Momo would start seeing it as the truth. "I'm just tired, Yaomomo," she'd say and Momo wouldn't question it. She'd let her go to sleep as Momo left the room with a weird feeling in her chest.

Their kisses were less prominent and passionate. They were occasional and quick, each lasting a second and no longer.

"I'll see you later today," Kyouka would say like always and kiss Momo on the lips before walking out the house. She always woke up earlier than her as her shift was much earlier compared to Momo's. Before she'd simply say it as Momo was sleeping but in an attempt to spend more time with her, Momo started going to sleep much earlier. Sometimes Momo would drag Kyouka into a longer kiss. Other times Kyouka would stay until the very last minute before she was forced to run to get to work on time.

Yet, at some point, those instances started happening less and less. Momo started waking up later and growing accustomed to there being no sign of Kyouka as she had to get to work on time. Kyouka would kiss her on the cheek if she happened to be awake and at some point that became the routine. There was no makeouts or any possible kiss that'd lead to so much more. Only did it hit her that something was missing when Kyouka didn't kiss her at all.

Momo could remember that anytime she watched Kyouka's villain fights it'd set her heart aflame. It'd get her blood pumping as her heart raced endlessly cheering for the love of her life, as she watched her dodge every attack as she landed some of her own. She'd jump out of her chair when things got bad and she'd have the widest smile on her face as she won.

Villain fights when they were side by side were something unimaginable. They always seemed to be on the same wavelength where they understood each and every thing the other was thinking. Momo would know what to create that would assist Kyouka. Kyouka would know what to do to give Momo the perfect entry point to attack the villain. They were practically a match made in heaven.

She could recall the constant messages about everything they'd do in their line of work no matter how minor or major. Whether one of them saved a life or simply returned a stolen purse, every achievement was congratulated and recognized at first. Over time, gradually, the messages started to decrease. There could be a day where Momo and likewise Kyouka would save a life and they wouldn't receive any comment about it from the other. Sometimes they could unintentionally go an entire day without talking to each other without even a single message. The thought itself sent an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach when she thought about how years ago they could rarely even spend a day apart.