Chapter 5 - Reincarnation

I woke up with a start, looking around. "What the..." The world that used to be Aether's room had disappeared. Now I was surrounded by trees and bushes. I sat up, trying to figure out where I was. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I looked down at it, horrified. "What... the hell is that?" I went to yank it out but froze. I suddenly became immobile. I fell to the ground, my hands breaking my fall. The floor in front of me became a blur, my stomach churning. I felt a presence next to me, getting closer. I went to turn around to see who it was but was stopped by my aching stomach. I felt the figure kneel beside me. "...Good," they said 'Who's there!' I tried to say, but couldn't speak. I felt something sharp stick into my arm. My arm grew numb and I fell to the ground. My eyelids grew heavy as I started to drift off to sleep. 'No... no... I can't... not now.' I thought.

The next thing I knew, I was out cold. I didn't know how long I was out, but it must've been a while. I could hear a faint voice in my mind. 'Who is that?' I thought. I heard it again, but this time I could just make out what it was. "Alana! Wake up!" I woke up again to someone shaking me, slowly opening my eyes I saw Aether.

"Thank god... I thought I lost you for a second there," He said with a smile. I tried to smile back, but couldn't. "It's alright, I've got you now." He tried to move me to pick me up. As he did so, I felt a chill go down my spine. I saw that figure again, walking towards him with a knife. I started to freak out, trying to gain the strength to tell him. But my body was too weak. 'Behind you! Aether look behind you!' I thought, trying so hard to tell him.

"Alana? What're you doing? You alright-" He turned around, catching the figure's arm before the knife hit him, sending them back. I sighed with relief. "Looks like I have to deal with a pest..." Aether looked back at me with a warm smile.

"This'll only take a moment," He said, pulling out a katana that appeared in the air. He placed me down on the ground gently.

I decided to rest easy, knowing he could take the figure. But, could he? I was too tired to care.

AETHER'S POV

I summoned my katana, gripping it tightly in the air and bringing it in front of me. I looked back at Alana, who was passed out.

"Now... let's get this over with so I can take her home, shall we?" The figure before suddenly pulled out a small ball. I was confused.

"Huh? Want me to play catch with you or something?" The figure threw the ball up. It was like the whole world was in slow motion, watching the ball fly through the air. Suddenly, the ball dropped, landing on the ground. The figure rushed at me. "Crap!" I jumped out of the way. "Lucky..." I said. "Wait!" I realized they were going for Alana. I caught up to the figure and clashed swords with them in a swift motion. We both jumped back, staring at each other before rushing at each other again. "Who the hell are you?!" I said, but they didn't answer.

We fought and fought before I finally landed a hit on their side. They jumped back, holding the cut. I glared at them.

"I'll give you two choices. Leave now, and I'll spare your life..." I pointed the katana at them, "Do I make myself clear?" The figure stared at me before backing away, retreating into the forest. I sighed. "Finally! I thought that was never gonna end!" I sighed in relief. "Oh crap! Alana." I ran to her side, picking her up. "Damn, she doesn't look too good..." I stood up with her in my arms, taking her back to the base.

ALANA'S POV

I woke up with sweat rolling down my face. I looked down at my hands. "Why... why does this always happen?" I heard the door open a crack. "...Hey, can I come in?" I nodded. Aether walked in with a cup of water. "Here." I took the cup and set it aside. "What happened?" I managed to say in between all my coughs. He smiled. "It's alright. I dealt with them. You don't need to worry about it." I smiled slightly. "Idiot, that's not what I-" I heard footsteps towards the front door. Aether's expression changed which shocked me a bit. "One second." He stood up and left the room.