Chapter 22 - Missing

The morning was peaceful. It was the type of morning where one could feel no tension or fear. The kind that makes people believe that everything will go smoothly even when in reality, things might never get back to how they were before.

I woke up, yawned, stretched out my arms like an overgrown cat and then stood up on wobbly legs. My t-shirt hung off me as if it was a baggy shirt and I smelled strongly like a combination of sweat and smoke. I pulled my hair out and started walking toward the door.

As I exited my room, I saw my brother sitting at the small dining table.

"Hey Kura," I said with a yawn.

He turned around to look at me. His face showed the same tiredness I felt. But he smiled, nevertheless. "You're up early today. It's Saturday." He looked up at the clock hanging on his wall. "Did you sleep well?" he asked. "Not really," I replied honestly. I walked past him.

"You have some food in the fridge... right?"

I grabbed two slices of bread from a loaf and walked into the kitchen. "Where's Haru?" I questioned. "In his study," he answered. "I haven't seen him at all recently," I said quietly. I placed a slice of bread into the toaster. "You haven't been around much either," Kuragari commented and sat up in his chair. He took a piece of toast from the plate beside him and bit down on it, chewing slowly. I froze. I forced myself to take another bite of toast without saying anything further, then took off my jacket and rolled up my sleeves. "Is there anything left to do for training today?" I inquired.

Kuragari stood up and walked towards me. "Alana..." I laughed slightly. "What? It was just a question." I felt his arms wrap around me from behind. The tears I had held back started to come through. I felt him lay his head on top of mine. "You need to let go," he stated. "I can't..." I said quietly. "He was Raeku's little brother, and I killed him..." I started to feel sick to my stomach, like I was about to throw up but couldn't. My hand shook as I felt the tears roll down my face. "Come... let's go outside for a bit, ok?" He asked. I nodded in response. He let me go and we slipped on our shoes and walked outside. I was greeted by Salem's whines. "Hey bud," I said with a smile, patting him gently.

I looked around. It seemed like everyone had moved on from what happened. People were working like normal, and there was no tension in the air. Well, until I saw Haru. "Morning Alana," Haru said as he walked towards me. I smiled slightly at him. "Morning. Where've you been lately?" I asked. He sighed. "I've been trying to figure out what Takashi's next move is." He gestured for me to follow him, and I did so with no hesitation. Salem, Haru and I walked towards Haru's study. He opened the door for me and Salem. "Thanks," I stated. We sat down at his desk, and he sighed. "I haven't been in contact with Delta in weeks," he said. I gasped. "She's the one you sent to spy on Bloodborne correct?" Haru nodded. "I see, that's not good." Salem laid on the ground next to me with a grumble. "Oh, stop pouting," I smiled.

Haru laughed. "We may need to send someone after her," Haru spoke. Suddenly, we heard banging on the door. I ran to the door and opened it. "Haruto?" I said confused. "Haru, Alana, come quick!" He ran and we followed. There before us was Riggs helping Delta to us. Haru gasped. "Delta! What happened?" Delta coughed blood onto the ground. Her body was covered in cuts and bruises. "Haru... its Bloodborne's leader... he's going insane..." I walked up to her and held her hand. "Delta... what's happening?" I asked softly. Tears formed in his eyes. "He's going to kill us all... every last one..." She suddenly shut her eyes and fell into Riggs' arms. "I'll take her to the infirmary," Riggs said. He picked her up and took her to the infirmary.

My blood boiled. 'How can someone kill a whole race of people?' I thought. I felt myself shaking and my breathing getting heavier. "Haru... I'm gonna go for a walk..." Haru nodded his head. I whistled and Salem ran to me. "Let's go," I stated. Salem whined and followed me into the forest. It seemed as if I didn't stop trembling. The wind blew harshly against me and made me shudder uncontrollably. As I walked, Salem jumped on me and tried to comfort me. "Sorry, Salem," I muttered, hugging him tightly against me. After a few minutes of walking in silence, I came across the cliff I usually go to when I want to be alone. I climbed onto a rock and sat with my knees hugged to my chest. Salem laid down next to me and rested his chin on my knee. I buried my face into Salem's fur and began crying. Salem started to lick the tears from my cheeks. Soon, we sat there together, looking out into the sea below. "Salem... I don't know who I am anymore..." Salem whined as I cried. I felt Salem leave my side. "Salem...?" I sat up, seeing Salem at the edge of the cliff.