Chapter 23 - Freedom

I looked at my phone. It was 6am. "Six days..." I never stopped thinking about the attack. I really needed to find them. I stretched my arms and opened the bedroom door. I walked down the stairs and saw Valerie eating breakfast. "Morning Ash! Come join me!" I smiled slightly and ate with her. I helped wash the plates and dried them. "Hey... Valerie?" She looked at me. "Mm? What's up?" She answered. "Are you sure you haven't seen anyone that has fiery hair and long black hair with grey eyes?" I asked desperately. She sighed. "I have... actually." I gasped. "Really? Are they ok? How did they look?" She grabbed my shoulders. "Calm down! I wasn't allowed to tell you that kind of information... we aren't even allowed to see them bring in prisoners." She looked down at the ground. "But you did..." I said quietly. She nodded. "They went towards the castle. But... I doubt they'd be alive." I shook my head. "No, they'll be alive. I know they will." I took her hands off my shoulder. "Thank you Valerie. Thank you so much for your help," I said. She shook her head. "No! You can't go there! You'll die instantly!" She said, desperately trying to get me to stay. "Valerie, listen to me." Valerie locked eyes with me once more.

"I'm not normal. I can do things that others can't." I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Please, take care of yourself. Fight for what you believe in." Tears started to form in Valerie's eyes. "You're the first friend that hasn't seen me as a monster..." She pulled me into a hug. "Please don't die..." I slowly wrapped my arms around her and embraced the hug. "I won't."

I waved goodbye and put my hood and mask on, leaving her home. I made my way towards the castle. It was big and looked like it was made from blue and white crystals. I walked up to the bridge and stood there, analyzing every possible entry point. "HEY!" I looked behind me and saw a huge guard walking towards me. I kept my hand close to my knife in my pocket. "You can't be this close to the castle without permission. Get going!" He yelled. I nodded. "Sorry for the trouble." I walked away from the castle and down an alleyway not too far away from where I was.

I started to plan how I was going to get in. I was going in blind as I had only seen the outside of the castle. But I didn't care, I was going to get them out. No matter what. I turned into a crow and flew up to the castle. I spotted an open window near the top of the castle and flew inside. I made sure to put my gloves on after turning back into a human to leave no fingerprints. I looked around. It seemed like I was in someone's bedroom. There was a double bed and a desk, as well as a wooden cupboard.

I suddenly heard voices outside the door and slipped under the bed. The door burst open and two people walked in, a young girl and an older looking man.

"Why can't he just listen to me?!" The young girl stated. "My dear, your father is a lovely man. I'm sure he would listen if you would just-" The older man was cut off.

"No, he won't! He shuts me down whenever I want to speak!" I could feel her anger, and the slight sadness in her voice. "My dear Yuri..." The old man fell silent. "I will leave you be," he said and left, shutting the door. The girl, Yuri, leapt on her bed and buried her head into her pillow. I could hear her silent cries as she laid still on the bed. 'How am I gonna get out of here?' I wondered. I could feel the dust getting to me. Suddenly, I let out a slight sneeze. Yuri sat up. "Who was that? Show yourself!" I knew I couldn't hide now. "Damnit..." I crawled from under her bed and dusted myself off. "Ya know... you should really dust under your bed," I stated.

"Uh... the maid usually does that. Wait! Who are you? GUARDS!" I quickly covered her mouth with my hand. "Ah, please don't scream... crap this looks bad." I didn't know what to say. "Just, hear me out. I'm gonna let go of your mouth, and you're not gonna scream, ok?" She nodded. "Good," I sighed with relief.

I released her from my grasp. "You could've said something before covering my mouth," Yuri said. "Would you have listened?" I said quietly. She fell silent. "I'm looking for where the prisoners are held. Could you tell me?" She didn't answer. "Please... I need to find my friends. Our home is in danger." She looked up at me after hearing what I said, but then looked away. 'Alright... so she responded to that. Maybe I can...' I sighed. "Our home will be destroyed by some very bad people if I don't get my friends back home. Please." I looked at her with pleading eyes. This was something I learnt when being on my own for so long. Manipulation.

"I... I'm sorry, but I can't tell you," she said quietly. Suddenly, the door burst open revealing a guard. "Yuri! Are you-" He spotted me and went to draw his sword. I quickly swept his leg and pinned him to the ground, holding my knife to his throat. "Tell me where you hide the prisoners, or I cut your throat out."

He glared at me. He wasn't going to budge. "Alright then..." I leapt off him and grabbed Yuri, holding my knife to her throat. "Scream, and you die," I stated.

"Wh-what are you-" Yuri stuttered. "...I'm sorry..." I whispered. The guard got up and went to draw his sword but didn't. I smirked. "I suppose you already know how this works. He nodded. "The prisoners are on the second level on the room to the left. Please let her go," I nodded and let her go. "I'm a woman of my word," I said and walked out of the room. I quickly ran through the halls before more guards came, jumping down stairs and over boxes. I finally made it to the prison.

I hid behind a box and watched a guard pace back and forth in front of me. As he turned his back I jumped him, knocking him out and stealing the keys to the cells. "Nice," I said. I searched and searched but couldn't find them.

"Alana!" I heard a familiar voice. "Haru! Kuragari!" I finally found them. I quickly unlocked their cell and gave Kuragari a big hug. "I'm glad you guys are ok..." I said quietly. "I'm glad too," Haru said with a slight laugh. Suddenly, an alarm rang. "We need to hurry," Haru said. Me and Kuragari nodded, and we ran. Haru had memorized the way out and we ran, bursting the castle doors open.

We ran over the bridge, seeing a lot of guards chasing us. Haru stopped. "I'll hold them off, you-" Kuragari ran in front of him. "Like hell you are." He put his hand out and a wall on lightning appeared, stopping the guards from getting past. "Let's go!" I spoke. We ran through the town and through alleyways. Salem barked. "Salem!" he pointed his head to Valerie who was being grabbed by a guard. "YOU TRAITOR!" The guard yelled. "LET GO OF ME!" The anger boiled inside of me. "Follow Salem, he'll get you out of here!" They nodded and ran with Salem. I glared at the guard, running at full speed towards him. It was like everything was in slow motion, me inching my way towards him. Suddenly I jumped, turning into a wolf in the air and biting his throat, bringing him down. I quickly ran to Yuri. "Jump on!" She jumped on without hesitation and I ran through the front gate, meeting up with the others.

They jumped on Salem, and we ran back into the forest. Finally able to catch our breath, I told them what was happening.

"No..." Yuri gasped. "That's terrible!" She spoke. I nodded. Haru and Kuragari fell silent. "Haru...?" Haru gritted his teeth. "I can't believe Takashi would stoop so low..." I nodded. "I know, but we can be angry on the battlefield. Right now, we have to get back home and prepare." Kuragari stood up. "Let's get going then." I smiled.

"Couldn't have said itbetter myself Kura."