PROLOGUE

The Ferris wheel shined brightly against the darkening sky

The Ferris wheel shined brightly against the darkening sky. Screams of laughter and fear echoed throughout the whole town. The smell of popcorn and sweets filled the air. Crowds of all types of people came to the fairs. Families, teenagers, and lovers.

The brown-eyed girl looked down below, and her eyes widened at the altitude she was in. Her heart thumped fast against her small chest and she looked away, gulping down her fear. The fear was soon forgotten as she looked over at the town.

There wasn't much to see. Lights could be seen from the City Market and she could see the skate park from where she was. The mountain top was filled with dark silhouette houses and a few street lights shined from the distance.

As the wheel descended to the ground, her anxiety calmed as she reached the familiar faces smiling at her. She left her spot and ran to the people that were waiting for her.

"Were you scared?" the tallest boy asked, his eyes mischievous as he waited for her answer.

"No," she shook her head, "told you I could do it."

The teenager rolled his eyes and proceeded to eat his churro. Another teenager, a girl this time who looked exactly like the small girl, set her hand behind her shoulder.

"Come on, Mom is looking for us," the teenage girl said.

As they walked, the girl got distracted and stopped following the two teenagers. She ran to the interesting ride that spun around.  She reached inside her pockets and counted the number of coins she had left.

She got in line and waited until it was her turn. When she reached the gate for the ride, they asked her if she had someone to go in with. They told her that two or more were needed for her to ride the ride. The little girl slumped, defeated.

But wait! They told her she could go in if only she were okay to share the ride with another lone kid. She nodded, desperate to get into the ride.

She got in and took her seat on the ride. It was the type of ride that would turn circles while the cart itself spun. She waited for her mystery ride partner. He was a boy, a bit taller and chubby. His hair was a mess of curls and his eyes were dark.

Reluctantly, the boy sat across from her on the wheel. The boy's cheeks were bright as she continued to stare at him.

"Hi! My name is Nina!" she said a rather bit loudly. The screaming from the ride behind her didn't allow her to think at all, or much less, say anything.

But the boy heard her and answered a shy hello. Nina didn't hear it, but she read his lips. "What is your name?" she asked.

The boy opened his mouth, but as soon as he did, his whole face became red as a tomato as he looked up and took notice of Nina who sat closely across from him.

"Uh-," the boy stuttered for words. He opened his mouth again but it was too late as they started to move.

Forgetting the boy that was in front of her, Nina screamed with glee and fright as the ride spun her from left to right and dipped and rose.

The boy was still, and sweat gathered on his dark brows. His hair swayed from left to right and he swept his curly hair to the side as it bothered him when it covered his eyes.

Nina couldn't help but be a bit embarrassed as the boy stared at her for the entirety of the ride. The ride stopped but there was still a bit of swaying. Nina's eyes were wide and bright, but she did not enjoy how her stomach churned. The boy on the other hand got off as quickly as he could and ran away, leaving Nina not knowing his name.

 The boy on the other hand got off as quickly as he could and ran away, leaving Nina not knowing his name