EIGHTEEN

I blinked

I blinked. I held Mason's arm as we walked down the passway to the school. The sun was beating us down, and I knew I would have a tan line wearing my cheer uniform out in the sun. I looked down at my white shoes, covered in glitter and muddied grass.

"Wait up!" Diana called from behind. She walked down the metal stairs, her face red and sweaty. "Are you going to the party?" she questioned. I noticed how her blue eyes landed a second longer on Mason.

"Yeah," I responded. "Mason's going to drop me off, and then we'll go later."

Diana smiled brightly, "Okay then! See you there." She ran back up, and I frowned at the fact she could have just texted me to ask but instead decided to walk the twenty steps down to ask.

"I think Diana has a small crush on you," I teased.

"No," Mason shook his head. "She doesn't."

"Oh, come on, babe. She totally does. I think it's cute that—,"

"Nina, stop." He locked his jaw, and his tired red-rimmed eyes flared with annoyance.

I rolled my eyes. "I was just teasing, alright," I pulled his hand, "I love you, okay?"

He nodded and shoved his free hand into his hoodie. "Yeah," he muttered, "sorry, I just don't like that she likes me. That's all."

We stopped in front of Mason's mustang. "Okay," I gave him a reassuring smile, "I get it. I'm sorry that I made you feel uncomfortable."

Mason dropped me off at home. We agreed I would pick him up in two hours to go to the party. I kissed him goodbye and shut the door behind me. A white truck was parked in the driveway, and my heart lept happily.

I ran to the front door and opened it. Joel was sitting on the long couch, and when he noticed me at the door, he stood up and walked toward me. With open arms, we hugged. I took a step back and grabbed his chin.

"What the hell is that on your face?" He swatted my arm away, and I let go of his chin.

"Funny," he gave me mocking smile, "it's a beard, obviously."

I scrunched up my face in mock disgust. "It looks more like pubes, but you do you, bro." I left him speechless and laughed all the way up the stairs and into my room.

I started a cold shower to get all the grim and sweat off my skin. I took my time in the shower, exfoliating and shaving and such.

I grabbed a pair of black shorts and, to match, an olive crop top with a cute red rose at the center. I brushed my hair, added curler cream that smelled like peaches, and lathered that onto my hair. I did a few hand-made curls but got bored and ended up half-assed. I desperately need a haircut. My hair covered my ass, which was becoming a problem with this weather.

Gold jewelry and a dark-brown eyeshadow with crappy done eyeliner with red lips. My favorite white slip-on vans and my phone in hand, I was ready to go.