THIRTEEN

It was the last day of school before the winter break

It was the last day of school before the winter break. I shut my locker, and as I looked up, Lily and I locked eyes. Candy was beside her, talking, and when she noticed that Lily wasn't paying attention, she followed her line of sight, and Candy sagged a bit when she noticed it was me. Even Ariel was with them. His arms crossed as he leaned against a locker. He, too, looked over, and his eyes widened. I looked away, shutting my locker in the process. I didn't realize I had shut it harshly. People around me stared as the loud bang of the locker's door seemed to carry all the way to the end of the hallway. I lowered my gaze and rushed to get away from their penetrating stares.

I shoved my lunch box in my backpack and pushed the door to get to the Senior's parking lot. Joel sat inside his car while a girl sat in the passenger's seat— laughing at whatever he was saying. This annoyed me for some reason.

I marched towards the white truck and knocked on the window. The brunette girl, with little to no coverage of her boobs, looked up, startled by the sound. When she noticed it was just me, she smiled. She faced Joel again and leaned towards him. I looked away as she started to jump him basically. Seconds later, the big-boobed brunette got out of the truck and smiled as she opened the door for me.

"Thanks," I mumbled to her.

"You're welcome," she chirped.

I got in the car, gagging at the smell of bodyspray. I buckled my seat belt and crossed my arms as I clenched my teeth from saying anything that'll get Joel annoyed with me.

"What's wrong?" Joel asked as he started the car.

"Nothing," I mumbled, and I looked away.

"It doesn't seem like nothing to me."

"Okay fine," I snapped, "I don't like that after you broke up with Angie, you've been basically whoring yourself around with every girl in the school."

Joel furrowed his brow and squinted his eyes at me as he waited for a pair of girls to cross the street. "Why do you care who I spend my time with?"

"Because," I exclaimed, "you—" and I paused mid-sentence. Because you know Lily has feelings for you! I hated it after all these months, I still defended Lily's feelings.

"Exactly, Nina," he shook his head in disappointment, "you better keep your thoughts to yourself. I haven't asked you what happened the night mom basically disowned you. Have I?"

Joel pressed the peddle and went over the speed limit as we drove uphill to reach our street.

"You're exaggerating," I responded.

"Maybe I am, but you and mom haven't been the same since you came home drunk and crying."

I gulped, the foggy memories of that night trying to resurface. I felt Joel's calculating eyes on me. "I think something more happened that night. Not you getting caught drinking, but something else."