TWELVE

I felt my heart drop into my stomach as I watched my mom fuming red with anger

I felt my heart drop into my stomach as I watched my mom fuming red with anger. I rushed inside the house as she ordered me to sit in the living room.

"I just got a call from your school that you were absent," she clenched her jaw as she stared daggers at me. "Then I called Candy and Lily if they've seen you today," she set her arms on the couch. "I thought it was a mistake, but turns out that neither of them has seen you in school. So tell me, Nina. Where were you in the entire day."

I looked away. I couldn't help but feel fear seep into my soul. I've never seen my mom so angry at me. It was unsettling.

I didn't answer. I didn't know how to answer her.

"You were with Mason," she said as a matter-of-fact, " Mija, I've told you I don't like you being alone with that boy. I don't want anything happening to you! I don't want you pregnant! You're just fifteen! You can't have that type of responsibility!"

"Mom!" I exclaimed as I felt my face heat up with embarrassment. "I wasn't with Mason!"

She scrunched her brows. "Then who were you with?"

"Diana," I mumbled.

My mom crossed her arms, and a tired sigh left her lips. "Diana," she said her name, and her brows furrowed even more, "do I know her?"

"No," I responded, "she's a friend from cheer."

My mom uncrossed her arms and pointed a finger at me. "I don't want you hanging out with this Diana girl."

I stood up, furious that she was telling me who to hang out with. "But she's my friend! I can't just stop being friends with her!"

"Lily and Candy are your friends. They've been your friends for years," my mom said and started walking away.

"They're not my friends anymore," I crossed my arms. My mom's face changed to confusion. When she opened her mouth, I ran up the stairs, knowing exactly what she was going to say.

Why are they not your friends?

~ * ~

Diana: I'm waiting outside

I set my phone in my back pocket. Looking at my mirror once more in the dark, I had my hair in my naturally loose waves, and the reflection of the moon sparkled my sparkling eyeshadow. I walked slowly to my door and twisted the nob as slowly and quietly as I could. I closed the door behind me and tip-toed towards the stairs.

I looked around at my surroundings. Making sure there are no witnesses. Like always, I was able to get out of my house without much of a problem.

I hopped into Diana's car, which was a two-minute walk away from my front door. As usual, her headlights are turned off, making sure no one sees two teenagers in the middle of the night escaping to go to a party.