TWENTY-FIVE

TRIGGER WARNING: If you've lost a loved one recently in a hospital setting, please proceed with caution.

~ * ~

The air grew colder as the days grew shorter, and everyone couldn't wait for Thanksgiving break and winter break

I closed my locker without crying out in pain. The scar on my arm looked better today. There was no redness or worse, protruding out of my skin.

Playing with the many keychains on my car keys, I waited for Lily and Candy. When I saw them coming out of the backdoors of the school I couldn't help but find the irony in the situation I was in these past months. I had a boyfriend when they didn't. Now I don't have a boyfriend and they do. Funny how the world works.

Ariel and Mateo stayed back and I shook my head when I realized that they had become friends. Not so long ago, Ariel thought he was to presumptions and too good to hang out with, and I quote, "his own people."

"We're meeting up at Walmart, right?" Lily said.

"Yeah," I responded, "and I have some stuff back home, so it's not a lot."

Candy nodded in agreement. Then we all got in our perspective vehicles and drove to Walmart.

I watched Lily getting on her toes and kissing Mateo on the cheek and I frowned with a smile, confused at what I was looking at.

When Lily was near she looked at me. "What is it?"

I shrugged as the automatic doors slid open, "So, you and Mateo are official?"

Lily shrugged in return, "Yeah," she smiled a little, "you can say that." Then I watched her smile fade. "I mean, he hasn't technically asked me, or I, him. Is there a difference between dating and you know being boyfriend and girlfriend?"

I thought for a minute and when Candy came back with the cart I turned to her and asked the same question Lily said to me. Candy thought for a while.

"I mean, dating, well for me, means that you're going out with this person on dates and such, and getting to know them. Then I guess having that official title of girlfriend and boyfriend means that you guys really like each other and want to be together and leading up to marriage."

"Wait, what?" Lily held her hand up to stop Candy from saying anything more, "Marriage? Girl, I barely getting to know the guy, and you're talking about marriage?"

I cocked my head to the side as my smile grew. "She's talking about herself," I said.

Lily wiped her head to Ariel who was currently looking at the stuffed Christmas toys at the entrance of the store. "You guys are talking about marriage already!?"

Candy smiled and said, "Yes, but we're not pulling a Bella and Edward move here."

Ariel looked up and smiled which was directly at Candy. I smiled as I took a closer look. His chocolate brown eyes were filled with adoration and love. Something that his eyes held every time he saw Candy.