TWENTY-FOUR

"Wait, what!" I shrieked as Lily grinned, "he asked you out!"

"Yes," Lily grinned excitedly as she turned back to look back at Mateo Rivas, who was talking to his soccer buddies but his gaze was on Lily, "he asked me out yesterday after school."

"What happened?" Ariel asked as he eyed his cousin. Candy rolled her as she interlocked her fingers to his.

"Mateo asked Lily to be his date for Homecoming," Candy replied.

"Mateo Rivas? The one who acts all high and mighty?"

Lily frowned and rolled her eyes. "Yes, dumbass. You got a problem?"

Ariel shrugged. "No. But I do feel bad. He's prettier than you."

"Ay, mejor cállate," Lily grumbled," and you're right he's pretty. Prettier than you."

Ariel grinned and turned to Candy. "Are you going to defend me here?"

Candy rolled her eyes and hung her head back. "No." Ariel feigned hurt and Lily and I laughed.

"All jokes aside," Ariel said, "that's cool you got a date. Not like someone here."

I set my hand on my hip. "Mhm, and you a problem with that?"

The smile fell from Ariel's face. "No, it's just I feel bad."

I rolled my eyes. " Wow, thanks. That makes me feel so much better about myself," I grumbled. I grabbed my things from my locker and closed it. "Alright, I'll see you guys tomorrow."

~ * ~

"Can I ask you something?" I said as I had my body turned to be face-to-face with Niki.

She blinked and her brows furrowed. "Okay?" she answered hesitantly.

"Is there something going on with you?"

Her frown deepened. "What? No."

I turned back to look at the certain someone Niki couldn't seem to look away. "Do you like him?"

Niki's face had contorted into annoyance. "You think I like someone," she gave a short laugh, "where the hell did you come up with that?"

I rolled my eyes. "I see you, you know. Looking at Mr. James."

Her ember eyes twitched and widened for a second. She then rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I'm not ogling him," she shook her head, "and for your information, I don't have a crush, and even if I did why would I tell you?"

"Why not?" I asked.

She stood up and flipped her bleached hair to the side with her hand. "Just because we're talking and I helped you with Lucas doesn't mean we're buddies and we'll braid each other's hair and gossip about boys."