THIRTY

And just like that, we were done

And just like that, we were done... almost. The first week of May was hectic for me and everyone else. I hadn't seen Lucas since yesterday, and as I lay in my bed, I was missing him. I grabbed my phone looking down at the time. 8:03 a.m. He was at school, doing his last final exam for Calculus. He'd texted me today earlier, that after he was done he was coming directly to my house when he was done.

Lily and Candy were done with finals and were destressing at home by sleeping in. We hadn't hung out for an entire week, and I was missing them too.

Instead of moping in bed and thinking that we were going to graduate in a week, I showered the stress away. I was brushing my hair and struggled to get the tangles out. I sighed and looked down at the dead ends of my hair. I looked at myself in the mirror and swept back and debated. I've never had short hair the shortest I've gone was below my shoulders, and at the moment I was debating if I should cut it off above my shoulders. I sighed and changed into a pair of shorts and my favorite crew neck, and walked down the stairs.

My mom didn't work today at her boutique, since she was feeling a bit sick— it's her allergies— and asked what she thought if I cut my hair.

"Mija, why do you want to do that? You look pretty with your hair long."

I sighed and couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Yeah, but I think I need a fresh start. Plus, think about it, when I go to college, I won't have time to keep up with my hair."

My mother debated and sighed in defeat. "Fine. If that's what you want, then I'll go get the scissors."

Wet hair and my mom with scissors and comb in hand, cut my hair just slightly above my shoulders. I couldn't see myself, since we were doing it in the kitchen. My mother said that my hair shouldn't go to waste and we should donate it. When she was done cutting the four tied bands, she cut even more. To be honest, I was a bit nervous.

After thirty minutes, my mom was done. My mother smiled and nodded. "Actually, I really like it."

"Really?"

"Yeah! Go see for yourself."

I walked into the downstairs bathroom and through the rectangle mirror I saw myself. I gasped and looked side to side. My hair curled like it never had before, and I ran my fingers through it, and it felt soft and healthy. I smiled to myself, loving my new look.

~ * ~

Around lunchtime, the doorbell rang. I ran to the door, knowing it was Lucas. I opened the door. Lucas looked, and his dark blue eyes were wide. He reached my hair and smiled.

"So what do you think?" I asked nervously.

Lucas's smile grew. "I love it." I knew he was being sincere. He leaned down for a kiss, and I stepped back to let him into the house.

When my mother saw him, she came to him and gave him a hug. "It's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, suegra." Lucas smiled.