Chapter 9- Stolen!

Be sure to click on that little orange star and vote! Follow me on Wattpad and instagram at d4rkst4r720 for sneak peeks! (and also to support me!) TYSM! :) Enjoy!

Matsuo's POV

     My cheeks burned, and I turned to look at Echo. She was staring at the ground. Why wasn't she denying it? "No-o.! actually, we're just-just friends." I stammered nervously.

  "We're not friends," Echo said sharply, "Just accomplices. Nice to meet you sir, and I'm glad you're okay. It's late and we should get some sleep, TONY! Pull me up!" Her face was red and she was breathing hard when the rope lowered. "Just think, Matsuo, what is your heart telling you? What are you thinking about?" My grandpa asked.

      Something kept me awake that night. I slid open the door and headed for the balcony. My heart and shoulders were heavy as I looked across the forest of Sakura trees. I closed my eyes and felt the breeze rustle my hair. "Hey," someone said from behind me. My heart skipped a beat, it was Echo, hands in her pockets. 

     "Listen, I wanted to apologize about earlier..." I began and she stopped me.

     "Shh..." She said pressing a finger on my lips and stepped closer to me. My heart slammed against my ribcage and my legs felt like they were giving. She put her hands on my shoulders and all the air slipped from my lungs. I gasped. "Look behind you." She whispered. I turned around and the light in the shuriken room was on. I silently cursed under my breath. I wanted to kick myself. Of course she wasn't going to tell me that. What was I thinking?  We slowly crept toward the light.

     "We got you now," I said sliding open the door, "There's nowhere to run." Mikira was in the room, fiddling with the glass case. She saw me and her eyes grew wide. Before I could do anything, she slipped the last 2 shurikens into her bag and jumped out of the window. I followed her and Echo ran out the door. Maybe we could ambush her. Mikira ran, swiftly and quietly but we kept our ground. Echo let out a cry behind me, writhing in pain. "Echo!" I turned around and instantly saw her, lying on the ground, clutching her knee. 

     "Keep running!" She yelled at me, "I'm fine!" I hesitated but it was too late. Mikira had gotten away. "We could've caught her!" She kept apologizing. I helped her up and we started to walk back to the house but she suddenly screamed and fell. "My knee, it hurts!" I sighed. We had run all the way into the woods and its a long way back. 

     "Fine, piggy back ride or fireman's carry?" She looked at me like I was crazy,"What?" I almost sighed again. Do I really have to explain this? "What I'm saying is-" She cut me off sharply.

   "I know what you're talking about! I'm fine see?" She started hobbling off angrily. I took a deep breath and followed her, staying a few paces behind. Echo leaned on a tree, panting hard. I shook my head and picked her up, complaining and all. When we got to my house, she jumped off and limped into the room. 

"Just think, Matsuo, what is your heart telling you? What are you thinking about?" My grandpa's voice replayed over and over in my head. I've been trying so hard to block everything out, thinking about the infinite nothingness but lately I all I've been thinking was about Echo... 

    Be sure to click on that little orange star and vote! Follow me on Wattpad and instagram at d4rkst4r720 for sneak peeks!