Addio, Italia

Les Houches, France, 11:50 PM

It was the dead of night in Eastern France. A village laid between the valleys of the Alps as a particular town named Les Houches sat on the doorstep of Mont Blanc.

It was a Saturday night, and much of the village was now fast asleep. However, one of the few houses whose lights were still on had a boy in the living room playing his video game console. Coming from the bathroom, a middle aged woman saw her son playing and sighed.

"Gabriel, I know it is the weekend but you can't stay up too late." She said as she went to the kitchen for a glass of water only to see the trash can was still full. "You didn't even throw away the trash."

Gabriel perked up and had a look of realisation as he immediately paused his game. "Agh, je suis désolé, maman. I'll throw it out now." He said as he rushed to the kitchen and took out the trash bag. The woman simply smiled however as she patted the young boy.

"It's alright, Gabriel. After you throw the trash, get ready for bed, okay?" She said as the boy tied the garbage bag up.

"Oui, maman." Gabriel said as he walked out to throw the trash. He walked out to his front yard as he set the trash into their bin. However, as he did so, he observed a green-bluish glow on him, the ground, on everything. Gabriel looked back only to see an aurora borealis right above Mont Blanc. He gasped as he ran back inside. "Maman maman!" He called out.

The woman was well on her way upstairs already before she was called. She rushed back down to Gabriel with concern. "What is it?"

"Look! Come with me!" The boy then rushed out to their backyard as his mother followed. The woman did so in confusion and despite the cold mountain air, it didn't deter her as she gasped at the sight of the lights.

"Mon dieu... That's-"

"An Aurora Borealis, right?" The boy said as he eyed the lights over Mont Blanc.

"But that's only in the North Pole. Why are there lights here?" The woman asked as she held the boy closely in concern but Gabriel simply had a look of wonder.

"It's very pretty!"

As the lights shined on Mont Blanc, over the Alps and across the Italian Peninsula, the colours covered Italy, the Holy See, and San Marino. Pictures and videos of the phenomenon where being uploaded as it showed the lights shining from Milan to Sardinia.

Some of those photos were coming from both tourists and locals in Les Houches as the woman was reading online on any possible news. However, Gabriel noticed the lights becoming brighter as he gasped. "It's getting brighter!"

She looked up only to shield her eyes as the lights became too bright to effectively see while she covered Gabriel's eyes to protect them.

A few seconds later, the mother and son pair were hearing the noise of the sea. They both opened their eyes only to see Mont Blanc be replaced by the water.

————————————

Palazzo Chigi, Rome, 1:06 AM

Giovanni Canessa, Prime Minister of Italy was having a good night's sleep until he was woken up rudely by an aide. He did not bare witness to the lights but the mention of Italy suddenly losing communication with the rest of Europe was enough to have him rush out in a hastily worn suit.

In the Hall of Italian Council of Ministers, the rest of his Cabinet was in the same confusion, grogginess, and some even panic as they were quickly called following the event.

An Aurora Borealis descended upon the Italian Peninsula and at around 12 AM, it got as bright as the sun before it quickly disappeared. After that, internet and communication to Europe and the rest of the world had disappeared.

A video call was established with President Roberto Sotto and from there, the meeting was somewhat hectic.

"Land communication with France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia is not working and neither are the lines to Libya or Algeria. The only lines that are working are those within Italy. San Marino is still in contact with us but aside from that... I believe the country was hit with some sort EMP." One of the men on the table suggested as another had a look of skepticism.

"Like what? A solar flare? If it was an EMP, why are the rest of our technologies still working? The internet within Italy is still up and so are the power lines not dependent on neighbouring countries."

"Listen, ladies and gentlemen this has to be something else entirely..." Another man stood up as he cleared his throat. "Because my ministry has received damning photos by our borders." He said. The ministers murmured as Giovanni eyed him intrigued.

"Minister Moretti, whatever do you mean?" The prime minister asked.

Moretti cleared his throat as he took control of a remote for the projection screen. "We have received reports and photos from the coast guard stationed by Sardinia..." He said. He then showed the first photo. It was simply a picture of a dark sea. The ministers looked in confusion before Moretti continued. "This... is a photo taken around the northern shores of Sardinia and in front is supposed to be Corsica. As you can see, the island is nowhere to be found."

And from that the ministers gasped in disbelief and shock, some not even believing Moretti's words before he continued.

"And this next picture...." It was a picture of a customs crossing going into nothing but the ocean. "... is a crossing east of Trieste that is supposed to be going into the country of Slovenia, but as you can see it's just ocean."

As such Moretti moved on to the next picture as the ministers once again murmured. "And this third picture is from a citizen in the border town of Brennero leading to Switzerland. As you can see...." It was a picture of another crossing except it was cut off and beyond was a vast field. "...the rest of the Alps is nowhere to be seen. I have more and more of these photos to show and to say the least, it is very worrisome..."

Giovanni watched his ministers talk to each other in panic and confusion now as he silenced them to let Moretti continue who spoke. "Ladies and gentlemen, for all intents and purposes.... This may sound ludicrous but I believe that...."

"The Italian Peninsula is no longer on Earth."

————————————

Just a note, I'm only doing this for fun and I'm not an expert on Italy or its military and politics. It's just a side thing to get my daydreaming and creativity out. Corrections are welcome.