Donori, End of the Line

(Part One)

Castle Hark, Jin-Hark, 3:27 PM

Maus and Patagene sat in one of the many meeting rooms of the castle as they waited for the Parpaldian envoys. It was always a bother when they had to call them. The envoys didn't want to live in a 'rat-infested dirty barbarian' city like Jin-Hark and had to opt with living in their own bungalow in the country.

They waited for hours nervously and finally as they were notified that they were about to arrive, Maus and Patagene then went to the meeting room to meet with them.

Soon the doors opened. Two hooded figures in dark red robes entered. Maus and Patagene tensed up at the sight, for they knew that Parpaldia was the one true superpower in Philades. With their ominous presence, the two figures sat down quietly.

Patagene then spoke, "D-dear delegates, thank you for arriving on such short notice..." The general questioned the duration of the trip. At most it would have take only four hours, so why did it take more? He did not dare question them as he continued. "We have summoned you for a request to the Parpaldian Empire."

The two figures looked at each other before one of them, a man, spoke, "You may say your request."

Maus looked at Patagene with more hopeful eyes before he eyed the figures. With that the prime minister spoke, "We ask for military assistance against Italy. We are in desperate need of aid right about now. If Louria falls then we won't be able to unite all of Rodenius."

Patagene nodded, "We... need your empire's immense strength to assist our... weak kingdom," he said. The general absolutely hated pandering to Parpaldia, even when he knew they were the superpower and not Louria. "Please... we desperately need help."

The two figures did not speak for a moment. However the second envoy, a woman, then laughed, "Oh how the barely mighty have fallen..."

Patagene frowned deeply in embarrassment, "Please... Just this once, we need your aid. We will return the favour in whatever way you wish."

The man then shook his head, "It's all over, general... Louria is finished. Your armed forces have been decimated and with no hope of your nation coming out on top, you have nothing to offer to us."

The woman nodded as she and her partner stood up, "With that, we will excuse ourselves. We have a boat to catch. Finally we will be returning to civilisation."

Maus's heart dropped to his stomach. Before long he stood up as he spoke shakily, "W-wait! The enemy has surrounded the lands and seas of Jin-Hark! Surely someone from Parpaldia would send help to you?"

The man looked back, "Oh do not worry. The Italians will be giving us top notch transportation back to Parpaldia. Enjoy your defeat, prime minister."

As the two left, Maus slowly collapsed to his seat. He then muttered, "They've... abandoned us. For Italy... They favour the enemy over us..."

Patagene couldn't find the words to speak.

...

Once more the heavy doors of the meeting room opened up as Patagene entered. With a nervous look, he took his seat as he spoke, "The capital is entirely surrounded... there are reports of iron beasts and men surrounding the city. The reinforcements have not arrived... it seems they have been taken out. And right now numerous iron ships have surrounded our waters... Parpaldia has no interest in helping. The Italians announced an ultimatum. Surrender or have the castle be stormed by their soldiers," he said as he looked to Hark.

The king sat quietly in his seat. The chandelier above shadowed his face as he clasped his hands against his chin. He sat there, silent as nobody around him dared to speak. Finally he then muttered, "It's over... we're done for. Aren't we...?"