Picking Up the Pieces

Third Foreign Affairs Building, 8:49 AM, an hour after the Rimini Incident

Kaios let out a deep sigh as he typed slowly on his laptop. The technological marvel in his hands, which recently got updated with the Elysian common tongue language, didn't distract him well enough with the troubling task ahead of him.

He received news that Italy was attacked by a giant sea monster with thousands of casualties. And of course, being the ambassador to Italy, he was tasked with writing a statement about it. But the tone troubled him. Was it to be in support? Neutrality? Or in an antagonistic matter?

Kaios recalled the meeting he had with Antonio.

...

Two weeks before

Antonio entered Kaios's office with a somewhat serious look. In his hand was a quite thick file. As the older diplomat eyed the younger one, Kaios knew there must be some trouble ahead. What kind, he wasn't so sure. He stood up as he eyed Antonio with a little smile, "Ambassador Catalano, what a pleasure it is to see you."

"Likewise, Sir Kaios. Unfortunately our business today is anything but pleasure," Antonio said with a sigh as he sat down. Kaios did the same and with a little gulp, the older diplomat leaned against the table.

"Is there a problem?" He asked before Antonio nodded.

"Yes... It is regarding a very problematic institution within your nation," The ambassador said before he cleared his throat. "Sir Kaios, your nation has been nothing but a steadfast ally for Italy during our greatest challenge of the transfer and we are truly grateful for it but... now the dust has settled and we've mostly stabilized our country. And we cannot ignore a big stain on our two nations' relationship."

Kaios tensed up. He knew through readings of the so-called internet that a certain practice was very frowned upon. He sat there, speaking up, "What may it be, ambassador?"

Antonio then sets down a file before he opened it up and showed it off to Kaios. His Parpaldian counterpart took it before he scanned its contents, each piece of paper inside made him go wide eyed.

Picture after picture, testimony after testimony, map after map of Parpaldia's slave institution. There were pictures of workers forced to mine, harvest, or manufacture. Testimonies from Parpaldian demi-humans who crossed the border to Italy about their horrifying ordeal. And a map of Parpaldia and locations of various businesses, plantations, and companies that used slavery.

How Italy managed to make such a detailed man in such a short time was one thing. But the fact that their practice of slavery has been exposed was another.

Antonio then spoke, "Here I believe is a detailed report of the institution of slavery within Parpaldia, sir Kaios. And to say it's troubling is... very much understating it."

"I..." Kaios took a moment to gather his thoughts before he looked up, "In all honesty, Ambassador Catalano... We have known Italy's stance on slavery, and we have been trying our utmost to banish the practice."

"Since when?"

"Since well, um..."

Antonio sighed deeply, "Sir Kaios, Italy has been reaching out diplomatically and while we hold your country as a major ally and friend, we cannot discount the opinions of the nations from say Rodenius or northern Philades, much of them being countries of demi-humans. I'm sorry to say this but... My government has voted to impose sanctions against Parpaldia."

... Sanctions? Parpaldia has never been sanctioned before. It was always their great empire that would impose its will against weaker nations.

So for Italy to do sanctions against them like it was nothing. He didn't feel anger, or outrage. He felt tense and anxious, "I... I understand. Please trust me when I say that we have been trying to at least minimise slavery around the empire, Ambassador. But the nobility has been rather hardheaded."